Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just bought a 2006 Subaru Forester (LL Bean Edition). Prior to this I had driven a 1992 Subaru Legacy (FWD). This is definitely an upgrade.:woohoo:

In my short history of car ownership, I've never bought anything that wasn't at least 15 years old. I'm looking forward to getting to know the SF but I didn't sleep a wink last night worrying about the purchase. I'll be bringing it in for an inspection by my local Subaru dealer sometime this week and hopefully that will help ease my worries.:icon_frown:

I think I'd feel a little more reassured if you SF experts told me that $15,200 wasn't a completely outrageous price to pay for this vehicle. It has high mileage (81k Miles) but seems to be in good shape. Typically cars in this area can cost $1000-$2000 because of our rural location.

---- minglewood

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,079 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! If you have a trusted dealership or garage, they'll give you a list of items that need to be addressed. If you don't have the vehicle service history, my '07 that bought last year (June/09) didn't, you have to assume services may have been missed & go from there. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bobby,

I guess I just feel like such a poser driving around anything remotely modern. I think I have to trust the dealership I bought it from to a certain extent but at the same time it could be in terrible shape and I'd have no idea. Even they knew I have no idea.

- minglewood

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,079 Posts
I personally prefer an earlier model. I really wanted an '04 XT, but couldn't fine one I liked. I love MODding & I do most of my own maintenance, but I do leave some of the PIA or messy chores for my trusted dealership. :smile:

With the miles on your Forester, it should have had the spark plugs changed a couple times, air filter change & lots of oil/filter changes. If you don't know when it was last done, I'd recommend having the coolant plus transmission fluid/oil replaced. This can be expensive, so you could do it as it fits into your budget. :wink:

There is the expensive timing belt & associated parts change at 105K miles, but you have some time to budget for it.

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Welcome!

I guess I just feel like such a poser driving around anything remotely modern.
- minglewood
lol, that just because you're in the west kootenays! lol.. :biggrin:
outsiders what with their fancy interac, celly phones and modern cars..
:mob:

(<- east kootenay born in cbk, went to selkirk, live in kamloops...)
really I'm jealous because I would give my right arm to live in the valley.. :icon_frown:

btw, the price seems good, are you taking it to hilltop(vernon)/anthonys(Kelowna)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, that just because you're in the west kootenays! lol.. :biggrin:
outsiders what with their fancy interac, celly phones and modern cars..
:mob:
That's exactly it... if you don't own a truck you drive an Outback or Toyota Tercel. I'm actually living around Trail so I'll be going into Summitt Subaru. I think I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy. I don't have a lot of money and I really rushed into this decision. This is probably the wrong place for me to be freaking out about this, I need a website for the shopping-impaired.

That's great that you grew up around here (I'm guessing CBK is short for Cranbrook). The whole region beautiful but it's so hard to find gainful employment. I'm on a contract right now so I may end up living out of the back of my Forester on a friend's property this Summer just to save some cash. I figure the moonroof will be nice when their wildlife population freaks me out and I end up sleeping in the car. They spotted a cougar this past weekend. :icon_biggrin:

I'm actually from the burbs of the Greater Toronto Area, but I've lived in the 'Koots for about few years now. I was living in the valley just last year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the miles on your Forester, it should have had the spark plugs changed a couple times, air filter change & lots of oil/filter changes. If you don't know when it was last done, I'd recommend having the coolant plus transmission fluid/oil replaced. This can be expensive, so you could do it as it fits into your budget. :wink:
Thanks Bobby, I really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
lol, Trail..

well if Nelson is the heart of the west kootenays you can probably guess which part Trail is..:biggrin: kidding.. i <3 Cominco.. :mob:
at least you are close to Rossi..

Summit is decent (I have friends whos family goes there with their outback all the way from vernon!).. they have a OBS impreza used for sale there I've had an eye on..

yes if my wife and I were ever going to live out of our westfalia it would be in the slocan valley..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Summit is decent (I have friends whos family goes there with their outback all the way from vernon!).. they have a OBS impreza used for sale there I've had an eye on..
I'm actually in Rossland. I was actually considering buying a 2005 Impreza Wagon from them and then changed my mind at the last minute. I wish I had, they seemed more trustworthy than the Glacier Honda in Castlegar where I bough the SF. I turned down the extended warranty, partially because I thought it was silly on such a new car and partially because the Salesguy was pushing it and he kind of turned me off. I'm completely flipping out now that this car could possibly need major work within the next four years.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Relax. you did good.
Enjoy your forester, This forum os full of Forester Owners, we have all done the same thing as you.

what do you consider major work? it's all relative if you ask me, some people freak out over needing 4 tires at a time ~$800... headgasket is the biggest most common thing that may or may not come up ~$2000-3000.. once and then forget it.. Timing chain at 100K.. no different than any other vehicle on the road really.

you shouldn't have anything to worry about with a 2006 except keeping the gas tank full and the smile off your face. definetly nothing to be flipping out about.

ps. once you drive it away you don't have to go to Glacier ever again :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
lol, Trail..

well if Nelson is the heart of the west kootenays you can probably guess which part Trail is..:biggrin: kidding.. i <3 Cominco.. :mob:

Hey I have family in Nelson, and working at Cominco has allowed them a very comfortable life.:raspberry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts