Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my FXT 4EAT Black java pearl PP. Only a week with me and like it so far. Of course I have those newbie questions.. so please be patient. I'd like to modify the FXT within the limits of the 4EAT without getting too crazy and stuff i can do in my garage with maybe a little help. What mods are good with the stock turbo?

Already working on getting tint.. next is rims(wheels) I don't like the stock ones.
Q: Are stock wheel specs 5 x 100 offset 48. will offset 46 or 53 fit if rims are 17" or 18" ? I really like the stock sti gold rims

Is there a parts interchange database for the FXT ?
1)suspension/springs
2) exhaust
3) turbo goodies.. up pipe, bov, air intake

I guess that's enough questions for now... Thanks and like the forum!! :wiggle:

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Skip the BOV... that's my advice (unless your goal is to hurt performance rather than enhance it).

As far as wheels you shouldn't have any problems with 53 or 46 offset. Personally, I wouldn't deviate more than 5mm from the stock offset though.

Suspension-wise I'd recommend upgrading the rear sway bar and end links, and maybe some F-STi pink springs or WRX wagon springs (depending on how much you want to lower your XT).

Cobb makes a nice catback exhaust for the FXT (so does Stromung), and Prodrive makes a really pretty oval tip axleback. Look around and do some reading/searching in the appropriate forums, it will give you lots of ideas.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess I should state that I'm on a budget... meaning Takeoffs from STi or wrx parts would be just as good if quality is just as good.:razz:

·
Aspiring Post Ho
267 Posts
You can run the sti take off suspension and you will get about a 3" drop with that set up.

You can run the basic sti exhaust but the axle back portion will be a little short. I mean that the muffler tip will terminate prior to your bumper under the car. Do a search and you will find how people got around this and how the modified it to make it work/look a little better.

You can get an sti up pipe as it does not have a cat in it. The sound overall with the sti exhaust will be a little nicer but not too loud.

You can run just about any intake that works on a wrx or sti or just drop a nicer pannel filter in the air box.

Lots of mods to the intake system can be done such as a snorkus delete or what ever. You can find this info on www.scoobymods.com

You can also upgrade the intercooler with either an sti or wrx intercooler. You can also swap the turbo for an sti turbo but due to having an automatic trans I am not sure what tuning would be best as you can not bolt on the sti ecu as someone with an 04 manual trans can.

As for handling, the best thing you can do right off the bat is get some nicer tires under the car!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
lol, looks like we fixed it at the same time.

·
K.I.T.T. meet A.L.I.C.E.
2008 Forester XT 4EAT
837 Posts
^^Great minds think alike.

But I also want to second the new tires. They will do wonders for handling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts