Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 02 Forester today and joined this site. I have wanted one for a few years but an opportunity just popped up and here I am.
It's an '02 Forester with 209k, a blown clutch and 5speed stuck in gear but will not move. The p/o said 4th gear has been out for over a year so I have a used trans w/125k on the way and a new clutch kit.
My question is, why is this 5speed a one year only unit? I have been told that no other years will work in the '02. Is manual transmission failure common for '02 model years?
OK, thats several questions, but even one answer would be cool.
So I know that it has brand new tires and all shocks, but I have noticed both inner cv boots blown,an idler pulley is bad, no record of timing belt so I got one of those too. The exhaust is leaking in the cat pipe, but that has to come down to treplace the trans so I have the gaskets ready.
I have plans for this car. It is silver which is one of the best colors for any car, and I visualize it lowered and widened.
Pictures are coming.
Any tips for a speedy trans r&r are welcomed too. (no hoist)

Cheers, Michael

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
It is a multi-year transmission. The issue is if it has the right diff gear ratios. Salvage yards don't have the means to keep track of what years/models/trim levels are interchangeable. Staying with the year you have keeps things simple for them....

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
It is a multi-year transmission. The issue is if it has the right diff gear ratios. Salvage yards don't have the means to keep track of what years/models/trim levels are interchangeable. Staying with the year you have keeps things simple for them....
98 and up are 4.11 ratio on the manuals!!!:icon_wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts