Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
discuss - was expecting a mercury not a mercedes. :\
A co-worker of mine drives a Mercedes 300D, which I deliberately refer to as a 'Merc'...as in hey how's the Merc running?

And he continually corrects me that it is a 'Benz'.:biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
x2. A merc is a mercury. LOL

And im not a fan of the styling of the mercedes in the link.
Nope, Merc is Mercedes. Even my grandfather refers to Mercedes as Merc. Even TopGear refers to Mercedes as Merc.

Now, s**t is the correct word to use when referring to Mercury. :biggrin:

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
Nope, Merc is Mercedes. Even my grandfather refers to Mercedes as Merc. Even TopGear refers to Mercedes as Merc.
Which makes no sense because it's not pronounced MERK-ay-dees it's mer-say-dees, (or Maertz-ei-deez if you're german)

but MERK-you-ree is how mercury is pronounced.

Anyways, I like it.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
^^ We refer to our cars as Foz and Fozzies......yet it has nothing to do with the pronunciation of the word Forester. Same goes for calling Subaru "scoobs" or "scoobies". It's just a shortened nick name.

(and since Jeremy Clarkson says it, it's absolute truth :biggrin:)

·
Registered
2016 Ford RS & 2019 Subaru Descent
1,349 Posts

Now, s**t is the correct word to use when referring to Mercury. :biggrin:
This guy has it right on both ends. Never heard a Mercury called a Merc.

Now Merc vs Benz is like hearing Bimmer vs. Beamer.

·
Registered
13 BRZ Limited 6MT
966 Posts
I do follow car manufacturers, but it's the first time I've heard of a Benz called a Merc.

I'm not from Europe, and somehow I don't think Germans or Italians etc, call them Mercs, I'm guessing its an English thing.

I wouldn't be surprised for Mercury to have a new designed car, as Ford is perhaps one of the few domestic brands doing well, and they're trying to figure out what to do with Mercury other than being badge engineered Fords.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.