Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XN
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

New to the forum and a new to Forester ownership and of course lots of questions.

Recently purchased a 54 plate XN and the front drivers side tyre is worn quite excessively on the inside. Theres also a knocking coming from this side when going over fairly minor bumps so was wondering if it might be something a little more serious than just a badly aligned wheel set up.

I tow a caravan and the car sits a bit low when towing, i hear its the norm for the forester? Anyhow rather than wanting to lower the car as most do i would like to either increase the ride height or at least get to situation where the caravan doesn’t have the same impact. I presume it means new shocks and stronger springs? Problem is i cant seem to find any uprated shocks and springs in the UK?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Andy

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

As far as the worn tyre goes, sounds like you need to get your steering geometry checked - you'll need to find some where that can do camber as well as tracking and alignment (aka 4 wheel alignment)

For suspension, your best option would be to source some self leveling rear struts from an XT. Failing that, springcoil.co.uk can make you some stiffer rear springs for about £100 delivered - I have used them to make some uprated springs and can highly recommend them.

The other option is to get some spring supports (inserts that stop the springs compressing too far)... More of a temporary option though and I can't advise as to how the would affect handling.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,798 Posts
ALL UK SG Foresters come with self leveling rear suspension so I expect yours has gone the way of many. (Check for oil on the outside of the strut and external canister)
This is an Aus brochure extract but applies to all UK SG Foresters.......

KYB list replacement non SLS rear struts for the SG but no rear non SLS springs.
You could get the SF rear non SLS springs but would need to change the top mounts to suit.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,565 Posts
Welcome.

Look for Yorkshire Performance Car Owners on Google.

Roy on there is dead helpful.

He could point you in the right direction to get your wheels set up in Yorks.

GoodLuck.

AM

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
My bad, thought it was just the XT that had SLS. In which case, should make tracking a set down a fraction easier... Forester Subaru - Subaru Parts, Subaru Spares, Subaru Breakers are always worth a try.

If you decide to go for new KYB struts, then Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres Buy Tyres Online & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance Servicing Accessories :: were the cheapest I found at approx. £48 each - you would need new springs though as SLS springs are much softer than non-SLS springs.

·
Registered
2004 XN
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses guys

Forgot to mention that mine is the standard 2.0 engine, non turbo.
Does that mean i'll still have the self levelling on the rear?

Thanks again - Andy

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,798 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys

Forgot to mention that mine is the standard 2.0 engine, non turbo.
Does that mean i'll still have the self levelling on the rear?

Thanks again - Andy
As stated above "ALL UK SG Foresters"

You will have self leveling UNLESS someone previous has fitted aftermarket shocks. In which case as with others previously, you could have ended up with non SLS shocks fitted with SLS rear springs which gives a saggy backend :biggrin:

Easiest thing to do is look behind your rear wheels to see if the SLS "Tank Chamber" is attached to the side of your struts.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,399 Posts
Welcome along Andy, enjoy :biggrin:

Great forum for help and ideas. Just remember the £60 rule:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you are not in a hurry, I will have a set of FSTI springs for sale in 1.5 months.
I was told that these can fit to SLS struts as the self levelling function is part of the strut, not the spring but others that know better could confirm whether this is possible or not.
In DH cars website it is mentioned that they have supplied XT Sti pink springs to customers with SLS struts without problems reported.

·
Registered
2004 XN
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure i dare ask about the £60 rule Torque???

fpan
not in any hurry to sort so might be interested but . . . and here's my lack of knowledge, are the STI springs uprated and if so by how much? How much difference will it make to the back end?

By the way guys - im loving the Forester. Had all sorts of cars but wondering why i didn't get one years ago!

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,545 Posts
Not sure i dare ask about the £60 rule Torque???

fpan
not in any hurry to sort so might be interested but . . . and here's my lack of knowledge, are the STI springs uprated and if so by how much? How much difference will it make to the back end?

By the way guys - im loving the Forester. Had all sorts of cars but wondering why i didn't get one years ago!
£60 is what everything costs to our other half :biggrin:

FSTI springs rates are 205 lbs/in (front) and 195 lbs/in (rear), they will lower your car by approximately 2.5cm but are stiffer than the SLS springs.

Gigsy might be able to tell what the spring rates of SLS springs are as he had some uprated ones made up recently.

·
Registered
2004 XN
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi JD

Im near Snaith, 9 miles South of Selby

fpan - ots actually my other halfs car so i guess that excludes me from saying everything is £60? Mind you i bought the car and she drives it - how does that work?

By the way - would feel a little uncomfortable about lowering the back end another inch, would rather lift it to be honest so the STI springs might not be for me

Thanks

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,798 Posts
Hi JD

Im near Snaith, 9 miles South of Selby

fpan - ots actually my other halfs car so i guess that excludes me from saying everything is £60? Mind you i bought the car and she drives it - how does that work?

By the way - would feel a little uncomfortable about lowering the back end another inch, would rather lift it to be honest so the STI springs might not be for me

Thanks
It would be best if you also checked the vehicles ride height to start with to see if its within manufacturers figures......

There is a pdf attachment in this thread that states the ride height for turbo and non turbo..................

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/advice-sls-problems-my-xt-71684/

If it still has the SLS rear shocks then a short journey before checking is advisable. :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts