Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member, from Maui, Hawaii

Hi! I am no expert in cars at all but love my Subaru which I bought brand new in 2005. So I hope to learn a lot from all of you thru browsing this forum on taking care of this great car.

I bought it to climb the mountains in Maui, Hawaii as I used to live in a high elevation (3600 ft above sea level) and the AWD was what convinced me to get this over the Honda CRV. Some parts here are quite steep, especially people's driveways. It's served me well and I've only clocked 38800 miles in 5 years...well, it's an island, so.

The only time I had any problems was when it got cold and rainy (40 degree F) and the engine couldn't stop shaking for a while (did I need anti-freeze?!). Then it settled after I kept it running. Since then I've moved out of the cool climate of the island to sea level so that took care of it.

When I first purchased it I had the dealer include tinting the windows which helped to keep it cool inside in the generally hot climate here. Saved a lot of air conditioning, and just kept the car private without people looking in. I lost my photos of the car when my harddrive went nuts. But I love dark windows! Sometimes I can't see all too clearly at night if I'm backing out and on reverse so I just have to be extra careful and slow.

Sooby dooby doo!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,490 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Glad you decided to join the group! Post up a picture of your Forester so the members can look it over. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! Aloooooha back to you!

I'll take photos soon of it and show it off to you. It's an X by the way. But I'm amazed at the variation of the forester just year to year, and the ones sold int'lly as well.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
947 Posts
Welcome from the cooler side of the globe. Sounds like you may have a bad set of plug wires due to the problem you stated about the rain and temps

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from the cooler side of the globe. Sounds like you may have a bad set of plug wires due to the problem you stated about the rain and temps

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll have it checked. Meanwhile, I've only managed to post a photo as an avatar. 2.5x. Thank you all for your warm welcome and helpful advice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts