Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester xt manual
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow subie enthusiasts! I am looking to purchase my very first '05 fxt and need a little guidance. I came across this fxt and it is exactally what I am looking for, but, I live in socal and the car is in NY. Now I am very aware of the salt issues that come with cars in these areas but would like a second opinion on the extent of rust and what you think the overall value of this fxt might be. Here is a link to the pics FXT - a set on Flickr
I much appreciate any help or opinions.
Thanks for your time, Collin

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,710 Posts
Depends on if the owner was careless or careful to wash the car underneath during the winter. Not a good answer..It will have rust but who knows how much.

·
Gone but not forgotten. RIP.
2005 XT 4EAT
261 Posts
Be patient, look local (as some shops don't advertise online), and keep your eyes open for ones in western areas, where rust isn't such a huge problem/concern and distance isnt as much.

Personally, flying all the way out to (or having vehicle delivered from) NY from CA is a bit extreme unless its in absolute perfect condition. I've flown from NM to TX for some good fozzys, but could have easily gotten home should it have gone sour. This one I would pass on. I've searched the CA area before and there have been some pretty good deals around there, so keep searching places like here on the forums, searchtempest (craigslist searcher based on zip/city), Autotrader, etc.

I just found my new one (Ill be posting about soon) on Craigslist, after months of searching, so be persistent.

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
782 Posts
It *looks* superficial. The exhaust is pretty solid and I remember about that much corrosion on my stocker when I pulled it off.

I see they have behind the grille lights, are they a user here?

I must ask though, why couldn't you find a decent example west of the rockies?

·
Registered
2004 forester xt manual
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry moderators, my first post and it has to be moved haha. Thanks guys for the input. I have been looking for about a month with not much to show. I'm sure something closer to me will pop up but I don't have months to wait as I recently sold my car and now am on pedal power. My goal is to find a low miles '05 fxt premium and it seems to be fairly hard to come by so I was considering this one. I really do appreciate the input and will probably pass on this one. And yes, the owner is a member on here; his vehicle is listed in the for sale section.

·
Registered
2004 forester xt manual
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, apparantly my bank doesn't give auto loans to vehicles that aren't already registered in state. Kind of aggrivating seeing as how I told them a week ago that the car was in NY and my banker didn't say anything about it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts