Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am new in this forum. I recently got married and my wife owns a Forester 2001 and I absolutely love it! I use the car everyday and I want to replace the stereo for a new one that has iPod capacity, any suggestions?

cheers

Jose

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
congratulations on the marriage.

As for stereos, I've personally been really impressed with my Alpine's iPod capabilities... but other members may have constructive input also, as the Alpines aren't necessarily the cheapest option.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,821 Posts
Welcome, Jose! We're glad to have you here. You made a very wise choice of a mate!

The very best source of info on car audio products is a company in Virginia called Crutchfield. Wander through their Web site and you'll find lots of good advice and lots of good products.

While I'm not an iPod guy, I'd expect that you'll find quite a wide range of degrees to which the iPod is integrated into the head unit itself, running all the way from a simple Aux In jack to a much more intimate degree of control of the iPod. I'd suspect that cost would grow proportionately!

PS: I'm adding "iPod question" to the subject of this thread. It might help attract more folks to come help you.

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
357 Posts
Hi,
I had an Alpine 9856 single din HU in my 07 X (~200$ back then), and there's a huge diffence in sound quality. I mean it is really worth it; much better than the stock head unit even though I kept the stock speakers.
Crutchfield is the source for information and brand new stuff. I would also try craigslist or kijiji for used items. I'm sure you could find one like I had for 75-100$.

With the additional cable, you get direct ipod connectivity (you control the Ipod from the HU). I never had any issues with lag or capacity (using an ipod 80gb with over 3000 songs on it).

I found the navigation to be less than good, and even down right dangerous to play with while driving. A good option was to create playlists. To this date I have not found a HU with a safe feature for browsing through an ipod while driving other than the pionner units with voice command, but I've heard that this technology still needs quite a bit of improvement.

If you've got more $$ to spend, there's a large selection on crutchfield with DVD, NAv and other features.

Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,730 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Post up a picture of your '01 so the forum members can look it over. :wink:

The new head unit I installed in my new to me '07 FSXT has built in iPOD controls. As to your factory/OEM head unit, you may be able to use an iPOD RF adaptor. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2003 Forester
9 Posts
Welcome! I have a Clarion Max 385 VD double din installed in my 03. Im not sure whether or not the 01 has space for a double din however if it does and you are looking for a touch screen dvd etc systme I would suggest this unit. It is affordable in comparison to other units I shopped through it cost about 500 cdn the only downfalls I have seen are that you cant change from the blue colour scheme and that the Ipod controls are basic. The random is always the same random. The same songs are "randomly" selected lol. menu navigation on the ipod mode is also very basic as there is search function but when you have a large amount of files to go through it can take awhile, dangerous while driving. It does come with a full function remote. I would rate it 5 out of 6 stars :D

ps I installed this unit myself with minimal difficulty. I wired a ground override switch for the video and installed the Ipod cord in the overhead glasses console by running the cord up through my headliner.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x Tour
100 Posts
A good friend of mine installed a 2 DIN Pioneer system in his Hyundai Santa Fe and has great integration with his iPod Touch (or iPhone... I'm not sure) PLUS the indash nav feature seems to work well for him. Sorry I can't help out with model numbers. Until my warranty is up, I'm sticking with the stock stereo in my '10.

And welcome from another newbie!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts