Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

new member, hopefully new owner

2K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  The Rookie 
#1 ·
Hi, all.
Quick introduction, names James, from Ireland. I am in the market for a forester. Have mainly been looking at 2.0l n/a but after a phone call to my insurance, the s-turbo is looking do-able :)

Ive been into hondas till now, namely the JDM cr-x mk2. However ive been diving a few years and the cr-x is getting slightly ridiculous turning up at piers piled high with gear :)

I will probably be towing a light RIB diveboat occasionaly so just wondering would i be better off going for the sensible n/a forester, or going for a turbo? At the moment my budget is limiting me to 1999-2000 year cars. Whats the mpg looking like under tow? i hear 35 without a trailer is possible.

SO is there many problems to watch out for?, ive tried finding the buyers guide but the search function is a little awkward with the US sections!!

hope to have a forester soon, but in the meantime will keep reading around the site.

Rgds,
James

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome. You need the turbo. Turbo Turbo Turbo. You wont regret it. :biggrin:
You get a cool hole in your bonnet. People will say "whats that hole in your bonnet for?" And you can say something like "Oh that, thats for the intercooler." Or someone may Say "where did you get your bonnet vent?" And you can look down your nose at them and say "I didnt buy it, it's factory." And they will be jealous.

#6 ·
Obviously get the best you can afford. If i had my choice again, i'd go turbo. But, i'd go for one without a tow bar and then get one fitted. You never know what it's been towing before.

Service history is everything. Pref by a Subaru mechanic.

#7 ·
Towing with a turbo is no problem. I had Legacy turbo estates and towed a pony trailer and all the extras, great fun. Still remember the looks as they got overtaken by a pony !
Just had to renew the clutch every 70k.

Good hunting.

Cheers
Brian

#12 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys, was expecting a few honda digs :)

Well this is what i hope to view over weekend:

it ticks all my boxes, and has the subaru history. Is there anything that usually goes upwards of 100k miles, ive read big end bearings and clutch, and also to check self levelling suspension (how do i check this, tyre wear??)
@Brian, good stuff with the pony, id say the animal had more "pony" power than our dive boat!!!

Will keep you updated and will read the honest john review.

Cheers

#16 ·
Depends how its been looked after . You would have to be very unlucky to get a forester with big end bearings gone, that's more common to the Impreza because they get the arse ripped out of them ! The S/tb (JDM) is the one to go for if you can find a decent one and i'm pretty sure in saying that they didn't come with self levelling suspension ( i will need back up with this comment from another member ...or not)! Mine has done 150k with no major issues with the engine or gearbox at all.... the clutch went on me after 110,000 miles of me driving it let alone what it did before being imported..:biggrin:

#14 ·
I'd say keep looking James....a quick browse on autotrader shows a few with a lot less miles for the same money...granted they're the wrong side of the irish sea for you, but the pound to euro exchage rate is pretty good for you right now, might be worth a trip over

#17 ·
Welcome to the friendly forum!

I've towed 1750Kg behind my turbo and it barely broke sweat, even outdragging a chavved up Fiesta out the M1 average speed cams (him revving the nads off it, me in fourth!)

Typical MPG for a turbo is 22-25, an N/A about 27. My best is 29.9mpg (Grrrr) on a run to Eurodisney at 85(UK) to 90(France) and back.

Simon

#19 ·
Thanks again for the comments. I will keep an eye open for jdm variants, but our insurance companies here are not too fond of the imports, especially with a turbo in its name! Will also keep an eye on something around or below the 100k miles, however I would be happy with a higher mileage if it had full subaru history. If i dont pick up something in next week I will probably start looking in the UK in a months time as im off to sea for a few weeks. In regards to big end bearings on higher mileage cars, I guess all i can do is try and view the car when the engines cold. Cant bloody wait now!! Oh and for those of you under 6ft, do you find the rear hatch handy for getting changed/keeping rain off? thats the 1st thing i thought :)

#27 ·
I'd say go turbo, I was like you like a week ago, looking at n/a foresters and then I just found myself going to St Albans 1 day and grabbing an 03XT, trust me, if you get the N/A you will be kicking yourself. You'l immediately love the noise the turbo makes:):icon_cool: not to mention the power!!

#28 ·
Cheers mate, dont worry, its an s-turbo or nothing. So Ive put the black turbo with high-ish mileage to one side as theres a good few with lower mileage same price (just not black!!). Rang around most of them at the weekend and now just need to find time to view them. A realy cheap 1999 came up today with 140k on the clock, but the owner (woman) says it was serviced locally every 6months or so. Am seriously considering it for the money. However am away to sea fri and wont be back till April so may just wait.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.