Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 XT Limited 6-spd's of Wonder and Amazeballs!
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals,

I just joined and am ready to learn the most I can about the SG platform. I don't own one yet but sometime in the next few years I'd like to get my hands on an Aspen White 06' and do a full STi conversion (gotta pay off the loan for my current vehicle first before I can start again). I already have an 06' STi (mine) in my stable as well as an 07' 2.5i (wifes) so I'm well on my way to building my own Subie fleet. I want my next vehicle to be a little more spacious though than our current Impreza line we have but I don't want to give up the STi power hence why I want to do a Forester STi conversion. The only thing is, is I'm having a hard time pin pointing either an all inclusive thread that will help tell me what I will need to do so I can plan it all out in advance or dozen or so individual threads to do the same. Maybe my searching skills such today or maybe I'm just not typing in the right key words on here or in Google. I already plan on trying to source an 06' Forester 2.5x as cheaply as possible to go under the knife and a wrecked/salvaged STi as well to be the complete donor. Other than that though, I don't really know where to start. Can anyone help point me in the right direction so I can start researching the in's and out's of everything so that I hopefully don't run into and SNAFU's later? Thanx!

k3nj11

·
Registered
2007 Forester Premium
1,923 Posts
There in more than enough info to answer your questions. This site is loaded! Use the search bar and type away my friend. You will not be disappointed...

oh yeah, welcome to the club from the windy city :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woot! I love all the warm welcomes. :)

I guess I'm going to have to work on my searching skillz a bit more then. Maybe in the individual subforums I'll be able to find what I am looking for.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,109 Posts

I guess I'm going to have to work on my searching skillz a bit more then. Maybe in the individual subforums I'll be able to find what I am looking for.
When you use the forum search, use quotes ("text") on either side of your text. The google search is pretty good & no quotes are required. Some times your search has to very specific, or nothing will come up... been there. :frown:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts

Welcome, lots of great members willing to offer advice.
I'd suggest looking through some of the Members Journals in the Member Gallery forum. Lots of modding going on. The search definately pulls up lots of material, but as Bobby says use those quotation marks.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it would seem like I will definitely need to use the quotation marks otherwise I'm going to just end up failing repeatedly. I have a lot or research to get done but thankfully enough, this isn't something I am trying to attempt right this minute. First I gotta get my STi paid off and then locate/purchase an 06' Forester in Aspen White, the cheaper the better, as well as a complete, totalled STi so I can start my build. I imagine that with the both of those securely in my hands, I'll have a lot of what I need right there. Still, lots of research that'll need to be done and educating to be had before I'm ready to tackle the project but I'm definitely looking forward to it all.

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've been looking around and reading up on some stuff but I am at a loss right now. Does anyone know of a good replacement strut for the stockers? I have figured out that, with a little finagling here and there, most stuff from an 05'+ STi would fit into the SG chassis. I plan on doing the complete 5x114.3 swap too but I know for a fact that the stock STi struts/springs suck horribly. Add to that, that the rear is going to sag considerably due to the STi suspension and it'll only made it worse. Now, I already want to keep struts on there and I know the Ohlins are awesome ( I know b/c I have a set on my STi) but they are hella expensive not to mention not really made anymore. I want to use RCE Black springs and will obviously need spacers/shims for the rear (possibly front too?) but are there any other options except the Ohlins for struts for the 5x114.3 crowd?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central Washington. As far as after market struts for the 05+ STi. There are none that I know of. I bought the new Eibach Street coilovers for my 05 STi drivetrain swap into my 04 FXT.

joe r

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I am pretty limited on options. There is a vendor on NASIOC that will take STi struts and re-valve them and TiC makes an adjustable dampening rear strut option but nothing for the front. Add to that, that the only other option out there for struts are the Ohlins FPS that are really made anymore and it makes it even harder.
*sigh*
Well, I guess what I'll end up having to do is something I'd kinda of been wanting/planning on doing for a while now but never really had the push to go for it since I already have a really awesome suspension setup. When the time comes, I'm probably just going to buy a set of RCE T2's w/camber plates to replace my Ohlins on my STi. I'll send in the Ohlins to be rebuilt (if needed) and then install them with either the camber plates I have now or Group-N tophats all around and sell my camber plates to someone. Probably the later of the two honestly simply b/c the Forester will become my Family/DD vehicle and my STi will be more track/fun oriented so the Forester won't need the added camber adjustability nor the NVH the camber plates add. If I really want to add camber, it'll more than likely be something mild so bolts will suffice. All of this of course depends on what year of STi I am able to source but I am shooting for 05'+ at this point.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5XS 4EAT
202 Posts
Nice! That was #2 on my list to test drive the day I bought mine! Never got to it -- I bought #1 on the list right haha

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice! That was #2 on my list to test drive the day I bought mine! Never got to it -- I bought #1 on the list right haha

Congrats!
Which one was #1? Thanks for the congrats, I'm loving her already!

nice find and props on the awesome illegal parking :lol:
Thanks, and yeah, I know about the parking job, but it was the only place I had available to park in my complex for some quick shots. :Banane17:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts