Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess we're not really owners yet, since we don't pick up our Forester until Monday. :)

We're downsizing from a Toyota Sienna. We decided that we wanted a small SUV type of vehicle that would allow my wife to have better view of the road than a sedan or compact, accommodate 4 passengers and haul stuff.

We were fairly open to almost any vehicle, but thought that the RAV4 would win in the end. We quickly narrowed down our choices based on available power. Only the Subaru and RAV 4 had higher output motors options. I should mention that we did not consider any of the domestic offerings.

We visited a local dealer (Fitzgerald) that sold both Toyotas and Subarus. We test drove the Forester first. It was a 2.5X Limited. My wife and I were both pleasantly surprised by the ride and roominess of the Forester. My wife wanted a little more power, but otherwise really like the Forester. Very roomy, and the ride felt a lot like our 04 Sienna XLE. The Forester seems a lot larger on the inside than on the outside.

Only minutes after driving the Forester, we drove the RAV4. It was a Sport model with a V6 engine, run flat tires and cloth interior. Not a fair comparison, but it didn't matter. The RAV 4 seemed smaller on the inside, more confining and even less refined especially for the price. The RAV4's rear seat seemed more like an after thought. The seat cushion was really short, and the back rest also seemed low for an adult. The head rest had to be extended high to meet the back of my head. This was not what I expected from the RAV4.

I told the salesman that we wanted to test an XT. It seems that we began our search at the end of the model year. There were only a few XT Limiteds available in the area. Fitzgerald had an XT Premium at their other store, and agreed to make it available for testing the following day.

After testing the XT we knew that the Forester was the car for us.

We were not able to work out a mutually satisfying deal with Fitzgerald. I contacted another dealer and found the Forester for us.

We bought a 2010 Forester 2.5XT Limited w/Nav. The color is Dark Gray Metalic. I think we got a pretty good deal and a fair price on our trade.

I found this forum through a Google search.

My Mod Journal http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/then-there-were-two-2010-xt-limited-74677/

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the board and congratz with your new car.
People here are friendly so anything you would wanne know you can probably find out on this forum through the search button or make a new thread.

You should post pics of your car when you get it. People wanne look it over. :biggrin:
You can't post pics before you have 15 posts but you can put in picture links.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,942 Posts
Welcome from (used to live in) Columbia! We're glad to have you here.

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you at Fitzgerald, but what counts is that you ended up the Forester that you wanted. Mine came from Herb Gordon in Silver Spring, and we got my wife's Impreza at Fitzgerald.

You've already done the first thing we ask of new members, and that's to provide an honest to goodness geographical location in your profile. The more fine-grained, the better! Maryland is a big place, so can you narrow it down a bit? This is helpful to all of us in suggesting local sources of parts and service (and offering personal help).

The next thing that would be useful is to put the vital info about your Forester into your signature. Year, model, and transmission type should do it. That lets us do a better job targeting our answers to any of your questions, and it makes it so that you don't have to remember to include this info in the text of your posts if you’re asking for assistance or advice. You can get to both signature and profile by pulling down Quick Links from the tan bar above.

We have a lot of members in the Balto-Wash-NoVa area. Check out the continuing MD, VA, PA thread, now 118 pages long, for updates on what's happening in the area.

In case you haven't already come across it, we've got a great FAQ sort of thread called Common problems, need your help! that everybody ought to become familiar with. It will point you to some of the best posts on how to deal with a lot of the more common situations you might encounter. And also look at the stickies up at the top of each forum's listings for answers to many of the most significant aspects of owning a Forester. Start with the stickies here at the New Member Introductions forum for info about Foresters in general and about how this place works.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Welcome.

Where did you end up getting it from? And what part of Maryland are you in? I live in Laurel myself. I got my Forester from Herb Gordon same as Bruce. I liked their sales dept but can't stand the service dept there (it's a Dodge/Subaru center). In fact, they told me they weren't going to work on my car because it's so modified.

So now, for any dealer-must stuff, I take it to Annapolis Subaru. FANTASTIC service there and Jackie (the parts girl) always hooks up the Forester forum member. She's really great!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
Welcome to the Subaru family. Enjoy that new Forester when you pick her up.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,412 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the board and congratz with your new car.
People here are friendly so anything you would wanne know you can probably find out on this forum through the search button or make a new thread.

You should post pics of your car when you get it. People wanne look it over. :biggrin:
You can't post pics before you have 15 posts but you can put in picture links.
Thanks Elmy. I will post photos as soon as I am able.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from (used to live in) Columbia! We're glad to have you here.

[Some content deleted because my post could not include URL's]
Thanks for the welcome and the very useful suggestions and pointers to important links. I lived in Columbia, MD also. Met my wife at the Merriweather Post Pavilion where I worked during the summer.

We are both very excited about owning a Forester. My wife and I discovered that we know 5 Subaru owners, and they all love their cars.

Only 18 hours till we pick up our Subie. :)

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I'm in Rockville, Welcome!

Where'd you end up getting it from? We got my wife's 09 Impreza at Heritage in Owings Mill, and my Outback(s) from Annapolis.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome.
Where did you end up getting it from? And what part of Maryland are you in? I live in Laurel myself. I got my Forester from Herb Gordon same as Bruce. I liked their sales dept but can't stand the service dept there (it's a Dodge/Subaru center). In fact, they told me they weren't going to work on my car because it's so modified.

So now, for any dealer-must stuff, I take it to Annapolis Subaru. FANTASTIC service there and Jackie (the parts girl) always hooks up the Forester forum member. She's really great!
Hi, we purchased it from Russell Subaru in Baltimore. There weren't many XT's with Nav available, so our choices were limited locally. Annapolis Subaru had one but it was an "Executive Demo" and it had over 5k miles.

My first correspondence on this site was to send a message to Jackie requesting pricing and availability information on body side molding.

I don't know were we will go for service yet. I'll have to check out the local dealerships service centers to find one that I can have confidence in.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,942 Posts
Ah, Merriweather. I lived nearby (well not even that near--just above Wilde Lake), and I never had to pay admission. The sound simply penetrated my house, wanted or not.

Mostly not.

You've already discovered Jackie. Great! We
Jackie!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Welcome from Owings Mills!

I picked up mine on a Monday too, 4 weeks ago. My first Subaru.

Loving it so far.

I'm debating taking it to Valley Subaru for service or Linhard's. The latter is not a dealer, but seems to be the most honest repair shop I've ever dealt with. Really, for oil changes and such, do we need a dealer's special talents?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,942 Posts
The latter is not a dealer, but seems to be the most honest repair shop I've ever dealt with. Really, for oil changes and such, do we need a dealer's special talents?
It's great when you find a place like this. Just keep receipts and good records in the event of warranty claims. There's a little bit stronger burden of proof required when you've gone to an independent shop.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOOHOO!!!

My wife and I took off from work today to take delivery of our new Forester. 3 words... We love it!!!

I have read the complaints regarding the outdated 4 speed transmission, noisy highway ride, cheap/cheezy interior, rattles and bad sounding radio. I don't know... maybe I'm still in Honeymoon mode, but I just don't see any of that.

Ok, maybe the radio could have a bit more dynamic range, but I love everything about this car. In fact, I love it so much, I'm considering selling my conservatively modified (suspension, exhaust, wheels, navigation, subwoofer) '07 Mazda3 GT Hatch to get a Forester XT. I would definitely miss a manual transmission.

Maybe it's the XT Limited trim. I find the interior to be somewhat upscale in appearance. The leather seats are very nice. We have the Platinum interior. I'm a little concerned about soiling the fabric covered door panel inserts, though. The texture of the plastics is nice.

The Navigation package is quite comprehensive. Bluetooth, DVD, CD/MP3/WMA and external video input. It has monitors for AVG MPG, and many more features. And sound is acceptable.

Sunroof??? This is not a sunroof, it's a Grand Canyon. :)

Did I mention that it's also a very nice looking vehicle. I think that our Dark Metalic Gray, with its chrome door handles and 5 spoke 17" alloy wheels looks a little "Black Tie" if I do say so myself.

I'm now looking at some mild modifications. Auto dim rear view mirror, body side molding maybe a few others.

If our Forester is as reliable as our Sienna, Scion xA and Mazda3, this car will be a winner.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts