Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Just wanted to post an introduction since joining earlier today. We picked up a 98 L model in fixer-upper condition a few weeks back and have been doing maintenance things to get it ready for the snow and general daily driving duty. Many little problems with the car right now, as can be expected since I got it in trade for an EJ25D rebuild.

The P.O. bought it as a donor and wanted to pull this motor out and put it into another 98 L model that had suddenly locked up after a clutch/flywheel job. The cost from his mechanic was gonna be too much for him to swallow, so the dead Forester went on Craigslist cheap. When I went to check it out (knowing the motor was a small issue for me) I got the hairbrained idea to do the swap for him and keep the donor car and "bad" motor. After thinking about it more, I proposed pulling one motor once and leaving him with something to drive while I worked.....so it was decided that I would fix his "bad" motor and reinstall it in trade for the title to the "donor" Forester. 2 weeks and at least a pound of carbon buildup later, the deal is done and we own another Subie. I still need to take care of stuck rings in the "fixed" motor...but can be done later. Motor Honey is keeping it alive until our schedules can coincide.

I'm focusing on fixing the little things on our Forester so it doesn't draw attention we we drive by. Some body damage to take care of, front axles and seals throughout the car will go a long way to bringing the car up to snuff (for us).

Hopefully I can contribute as I can learn more about this model. I'm fairly well versed in the Impreza's of the non-turbo flavor.

That's all for now!
Jay Storm

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,958 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulation on the Forester addition & good luck on the repairs! Post up a picture so the members can look it over. You're required to have 15 posts to link to a host (to prevent spamming), but you can attach pictures (thumbnails) now. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Holy Jay!!!!! :icon_biggrin: :smile:

Welcome to SF.org!!!!!

Jay's one of the technical gurus over on one of my local Scooby community's Forums - LERSOC (Lake Erie Region Subaru Owners Club).

:smile:

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks!

I'll have to (gasp) wash the car and find a good open field to get some suitable pics of the car...... (from a distance :) ) and post them. I'm fine with attaching thumbs for awhile. I have some good technical pics in my webshots albums that I would eventually be linking to.....so I suppose I need to get my nose into some discussions!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
180 Posts
Good to have you on board Jay, your reputation precedes you from other forums.

Got to love the car for engine work trades.

·
Registered
05 FXT 5MT
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks! I saw the infamous "clock repair" thread and immediately went out to the garage and got ours going again. I didn't take a whole 5 minutes bragging to my better half....but she's very appreciative! ;)

Jay Storm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts