Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,
As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm a noob in the forum. Recently I've been in the market for a 2003-2008 n/a Forester (The X model, I believe). I've had my 03 Mistsu Evo long enough and its time for me get something a little less costly. But its still has gotta look good. Which brings to my first internal debate about whether to get 17 or 18 inch rims on the Forester. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the 18's, since I don't plan on lowering the car because I plan on needing the extra clearance for the many climbing trips I do to the Sierra's. I don't plan on offroading, but I don't want to bottom out on every little rock either. I'm also wondering if I would have enough clearance to run tire cables if I needed to with 18's (although this isnt that important). So basically I'm just looking into what people say about the upsides and downsides of running 18's. And maybe a idea of what a good tire size would be for a Forester with 18's and stock ride height. Also, if anyone has any photos of a Forester with stock ride height on 18's, that would be awesome to see. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Stock suspension? Stick with 17s at the most. Suspension is way too soft for 18s. Putting 18s on stock suspension is like climbing with high heels and it'll look kinda funny as well...

·
Registered
2004 STI 6MT (2005)
2,934 Posts
Well here's pics of stock height with 17's if that helps any:

It doesn't look bad in my opinion and I agree with Black Box, 18's are overkill for any kind of off-roading and will probably leave you angry at your car :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice. Looks like I'll go with 17's and decide after if I want the bit of a drop. thanks.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
The good news is you can get your Forester to handle as well as an Evo with STI suspension but unfortunately to get a Forester to handle like a sedan you're going to have to have sedan ride height.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,065 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,799 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search! :cool:

As to wheel/tire size. Most owners may go from a wheel size of 16" to 17" or 18", but the tire size (diameter) is reduced to keep the speedometer reading correctly. For example, 60 series to 55 series to 45 series. Seeing that you want to go off roading, I'd recommend staying with the stock 16" wheels with 60 series tires. This will give you the most sidewall, which should be better for off roading. In addition, for off roading, I'd stay with the stock riding height. :smile:

Bobby...

'07 FSXT MODding Journal
'03 X MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
Didn't notice you're N/A. I'll recommend against 18s even more since the added weight will make your car accelerate and steer sloooow. It did on my XT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts