Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 X
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 03 tonight, and think it was a good deal. Guy who checked it over for the prev owner said it needs wheel bearing in right front. What's a typical cost for this?

Looking forward to puttin on some miles!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,446 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester purchase! :cool:

I can't help with your front wheel bearing question, I've never had to replace one. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Picking up my 03 tonight, and think it was a good deal. Guy who checked it over for the prev owner said it needs wheel bearing in right front. What's a typical cost for this?

Looking forward to puttin on some miles!
Its generally around 400 at a shop or dealer. If you are comfortable doing some suspension work, you can pull the knuckle off and bring it somewhere like napa and get it replaced for less labor cost.

Parts are around 100-120 for the bearing and related oil seals. If the hub is scored or damaged in anyway that should be replaced to and is around 100-150$.

Wheel bearings are unfortunately one of the major downfalls of the subaru as they're relatively weak and are of press in design, rather than some others that have simple bolt on bearings.

·
Registered
2003 X
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you run for a while on the bearings in need of replacement or will it cause a lot of other problems?

By the way, forgot in my haste to mention in the original post that I'm in suburban Philly.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Can you run for a while on the bearings in need of replacement or will it cause a lot of other problems?
You're likely going to have to replace the hub as well because it will get damaged by the busted bearing, and will cause the new bearing to fail in short order.

In fact, if the bearings are bad enough that they are noisy, it's pretty safe to assume that the hub has already been damaged and will need replacement as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts