Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It works don but a big flat spot if you gun it. there are no numbers on my maf that came out the car the only thing I can see is the Nissan one has a green o ring and mine has a black o ring and the Nissan one has a resister across the pins on the side. I did remove the resister but no difference.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
rallyman, did you ever get a result and find the part you need?

I believe mine would be different as it's an MY01 but I too am suspecting (front) MAF failure, my fuel consumption has gone through the roof over the past two weeks and no other obvious reason why.

let us know how you got on mate.

cheers

Mike

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
rallyman, did you ever get a result and find the part you need?

I believe mine would be different as it's an MY01 but I too am suspecting (front) MAF failure, my fuel consumption has gone through the roof over the past two weeks and no other obvious reason why.
let us know how you got on mate.
cheers
Mike
Yes, yours is different Mike, as per..............
Subaru Impreza WRX STi Air Flow Meter Insert 22680AA310 Special Offer

Well worth taking out and giving it a good clean with some of this............
CRC AIR SENSOR CLEAN MASS AIR FLOW CLEANER MAF UK STOCK on eBay (end time 11-Aug-10 10:36:08 BST)

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Spot on there Don. Thanks for the shout on cleaning the bugger, never even considered it an option!

£200 for a new front MAF!! Holy Heavy Industries Japman! Prezza WRX maf as per SF5 177bhp..?

Gonna read more on removal, no need for a schematic mate, h actually there is, as I am away from my own computer for a few weeks!

chin chin (bar open late tonight)

Mike

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a new one from import car parts (thanks don) £95 + £5 p&p rang dealer and not bad at £96 +vat. Now just waiting for it to fit it and hope it fixes my problems. glad i have a my00 £175 for a maf :icon_cry:

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right got it today fast post cost me all in £100 so saved £10 getting it this way. Anyway fitted it reset ecu and its like a new car :woohoo: i now have put in 20lts and i know i used to get 72 miles out of that about 23mpg so now we will see. thanks Don should of done this in the first place.so far so good

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Thanks for the link Don.

Symptoms for me are 1/2 - 1 second hesitation from stationery/dead slow when you floor it, flat spot on full throttle around 3 - 4,300rpm, high fuel consumption. She IS due a service soon so I will get that done, see if new plugs, oil, filters etc do anything, get the MAF cleaned, then go for a new one if needs be. Don, if I remove the MAF to clean, should I (a) disconnect battery? and (b) reset ECU once MAF replaced?

Nice one

Mike

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Mike your poor fuel consumption could be the O2 sensor. Mine went (same time as the MAF, are they connected??) and was replaced with a new one. Then suddenly I'm up to the heady heights of 27mpg :smile:

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Mike,

If the vehicle is switched off and left switched off whilst the MAF is disconnected for cleaning and then put back, then you shouldn't get a cel. With the "newage" Denso ECU it shouldn't need resetting.(quick learner).

With the "newage" SF where you have 2 Lambda sensors (Air/Fuel and O2) its not so simple (or cheap) to just change the sensor and hope it is the fault.
A/F sensor (front in manifold just before up pipe) "usually" fails on a faulty heater circuit at/or about 7yrs of age (90-100,000 miles) and gives a cel.

There have been various threads about SF's (pre and post the change in 01) suffering from hesitation and slow pick up with no apparent solution.

However, Turbonutters claims to have fixed his MY99 with a change in cam position sensor.(22056AA062)

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f159/spluttering-s-turbo-help-77784/

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ween-2000-4000-a-65153/index8.html#post862557

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Hmm. I am a bit - to be honest a lot - confused. MY01 UK S Turbo AT (newageish)

front MAF-s in front of inlet manifold - possibly failed
rear MAF-s in front of 'rear' cat - possibly failed

A/F meter just before up-pipe on manifold - possibly failed (?) Bought car at 102,000 so cannot be certain of history pre purchase (regardless of FSSH)

No CELs. No mis-fires, juddery hesitation or spluttering. No other indication of failures elsewhere.

Am I just being too heavy-footed..?

Will try the front MAF clean first, after the service!

Thanks again Don. What would we do without you?????!!

Mike

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Hmm. I am a bit - to be honest a lot - confused. MY01 UK S Turbo AT (newageish)

front MAF-s in front of inlet manifold - possibly failed
rear MAF-s in front of 'rear' cat - possibly failed

A/F meter just before up-pipe on manifold - possibly failed (?) Bought car at 102,000 so cannot be certain of history pre purchase (regardless of FSSH)

No CELs. No mis-fires, juddery hesitation or spluttering. No other indication of failures elsewhere.

Am I just being too heavy-footed..?

Will try the front MAF clean first, after the service!

Thanks again Don. What would we do without you?????!!

Mike
Mike, you seem to be confusing what a MAF and an O2 sensor is :icon_frown:

MAF:- (Meter-Air Flow) is situated in the air inlet between the air filter and the turbo inlet.

Lambda Sensor:- comes in two varieties:-

1) Wideband used for measuring Air/Fuel ratio and used on "Newage" OBD compliant Foresters and Impreza's plus many more.....
2) O2 Sensor used on both. On a "Classic" Forester pre-MY01 it is situated in the exhaust immediately after the turbo in the down pipe.
On a "Newage" MY01 on Forester it comes after the second cat just before the "donut" joint of the exhaust mid pipe.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
yes, there you are, trying to sound knowledgeable but failing miserably!

So by what you say above, mine will have 1 MAF, and two labmdas; one at rear of cat 2 (o2), one in up pipe (wideband).

Correct?

err........

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
yes, there you are, trying to sound knowledgeable but failing miserably!

So by what you say above, mine will have 1 MAF, and two labmdas; one at rear of cat 2 (o2), one in up pipe (wideband).

Correct?

err........
Almost:banana: ( the A/F sensor is in the manifold "just before" the up pipe. There is an EGT sensor (Exhaust Gas Temperature) in the up pipe just above the up pipe cat.

The wideband is called an "Air/Fuel sensor" in Subaru speak.

Needless to say if you need to replace your MAF or your Air/Fuel sensor they are expensive but best to go OEM. Hence all the links to the cheapest OEM items and not the cheapest on ebay. :biggrin:

Air/Fuel sensor item 1.............
http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/en_s10/type_12/exhaust_system/exhaust/illustration_5/

·
Registered
2000 Forester MY00
5 Posts
:woohoo:

I needed a MAF (mass air flow sensor) for my MY00 2.0L S-Turbo. I bought the one from subarugenuineparts . com that is labeled for the 2.5L NA with part number: 22794AA000
Took out the original 22794AA010 and replaced it with the 22794AA000 and voilá! They are identical!

I think it was so worth the risk. Only paid $51.56 for it in the States and it works perfectly. Been running it daily for over a month now. No more hickups when pressing down the throttle doing 90 km/h. Running smooth.

Hope this helps. I thought I would risk it for everyones sake! :biggrin:

C YA

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
You know what, it would be so much easier to just attend a club meet and have some actual 'facetime' with the king of the parts diagram, wouldn't it?

After a weekend of heavy right foot action in the Peaks I managed to squeeze high twenties (I think!). Seems more responsive too. This may be due to a tank of Shell 99..??

I thought the ECU 'learned' stuff too like RON rating etc and adjusts things accordingly..? How vague is that statement!?

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
think we all should meet quick as after january we will all be getting a bike. do subaru make a bike ( a push bike ) :Banane35:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts