·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2.0xt bought in 2005(aug).
i have increased hp with vf35,f pump injectors exhaust ,wrx i/c and ecutek

it seams that my car now need brakes and suspension impprovement
as you might know in greece this model comes with 16''x 6.5'' wheel

my plan is to change front brakes to wilwood 6pist and leave rear as is(any comments?)

i will have to change wheels and i will go for 18''

im considering prodrive 18 x 8 (i dont know the offset but i think its ok) and tires 245 x 40 (any coments pls?)

i woul like to change suspension also in order to lower max 2cm and have a more stiffen tail
any proposals?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
xristos.athens said:
i have a 2.0xt bought in 2005(aug).
i have increased hp with vf35,f pump injectors exhaust ,wrx i/c and ecutek

it seams that my car now need brakes and suspension impprovement
as you might know in greece this model comes with 16''x 6.5'' wheel

my plan is to change front brakes to wilwood 6pist and leave rear as is(any comments?)

i will have to change wheels and i will go for 18''

im considering prodrive 18 x 8 (i dont know the offset but i think its ok) and tires 245 x 40 (any coments pls?)

i woul like to change suspension also in order to lower max 2cm and have a more stiffen tail
any proposals?
New setup sounds sweet! Yeah, you will need new brakes and suspension to handle the new performance. 18x8 will be fine as long as it is 48 offset. going w/ 245/40s will be fine but your speedo will read slightly faster than you are actually going.

If you are upgrading the front brakes w/ 6pots I would suggest upgrading the rear to the larger legacy H6 rotor upgrade to balance the braking force more so you are diving forward as much.

In order to lower your car the lowest I know is the an inch which is closer to 2.5cm...there are a couple other companys that make the 1" drop springs for the forester but the FSTi springs were made to work specifically w/ the stock shocks...if you want to upgrade for a stiffer/harder ride w/ the same drop you can go w/ the FSTi take offs.

Might want to invest in a larger Rear sway bar, rear end links and rear strut bar to help get that stiff tail.

I know there are more options in Europe for you car so the guys there need to chime in now.;)

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
You might want to look into what the cost would be for the entire (front and rear) brake setup from an '06 WRX would be. Here in the US (not sure about in your neck of the woods) it now comes standard with 17" wheels, and larger front brakes with 4pot calipers. The rears have been upgraded as well.

I'm sure a lightly used set of takeoffs would be fairly affordable. Combined with a decent aftermarket street pad, maybe some stainless lines, and if you want to go all out, a better master cylinder, and you should have a pretty strong and balanced setup.

I'd echo the idea of rear sway bar + endlinks. best mod i've done to my '98. Cheapest too.

lastly, you may want to stick with 17s instead of the 18s - ride quality, fuel economy and acceleration should all be better with 17s, unless you're buying $$$$ forged wheels.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tks mates your advises are priceless

my opinion is that wrx brakes might not be enough for my heavily loaded can in a weekend ride (wife,kids,parents dog etc:) )
any idea where i can get the legacy h6 rotor?(2nd hand) since i like the idea rear sway bar for impreza fits?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
4 pot fronts + 2pot rears with aftermarket pads should be plenty. The WRX setup also will see an increase in rotor size for both front and rear, if memory serves.

You actually have more contact between pad and rotor with a four pot than you will with most 6 pots, since the pistons take up more space.

To do the H6 upgrade, you need the rotors and brackets, if memory serves. Take a peek over at scoobymods for more info.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd echo the idea of going with the four pot brakes and discs from a WRX which will provide a major step up in braking, particularly if you add steel braided brake lines and high performance fluid. Drove my Forester with such a brake set up across Europe this summer and no problems with braking despite the load.
Can I also advise that upgrading the rear anti roll bar(sway bar to our US friends) and the front and rear drop links to something from say Whiteline is also a major step forward in handling and quite cheap.
The only thought I'd add is to fit upper strut braces as well, particularly at the rear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldgit said:
I'd echo the idea of going with the four pot brakes and discs from a WRX which will provide a major step up in braking, particularly if you add steel braided brake lines and high performance fluid. Drove my Forester with such a brake set up across Europe this summer and no problems with braking despite the load.
Can I also advise that upgrading the rear anti roll bar(sway bar to our US friends) and the front and rear drop links to something from say Whiteline is also a major step forward in handling and quite cheap.
The only thought I'd add is to fit upper strut braces as well, particularly at the rear.
you think that 6 pist wilwood is too mutch for my needs that doesnt justify the cost?

do you have a pic of them and/or link for bying whiteline stuf and uper strut braces?preferable in europe

tks

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I really think the wilwood kit is overkill, especially given what I assume is rather high cost.

I'd second the stainless lines and good fluid, both will go a long way to improving how the brakes feel to you. The actual difference in braking performance is probably very minor, unless you are seriously overloading the brakes at present.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts