Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new injectors (at least one) because of a diagnosed misfire in cyl #4 and I was wondering a few things: should I replace just one, or all? are they easy to replace, or does it require special tools/skills to get it disconnected from the fuel rail? Is there any disadvantage to going slightly bigger? any advantage? where can i find a good set of injectors aside from stock?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Have you thought of having them serviced first. Most dealerships and full service garages have the equipment and can run a cleaning solution through them. My neighbor bought a 05 Outback that was behaving with an occasional misfire and at my mechanics recommendation took it in for a fuel injector service, the owner say it cured his misfire and gets better gas mileage than before. Just a thought, I'm sure there will be others commenting.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,853 Posts
if you plan to go bigger in the future, now is a good time to upgrade. Replacing injectors isn't too hard, its not a walk in the park though...

No special tools required.

Not enough information as to the failure mode to recommend whether just to mess with one or mess with all of them...

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you thought of having them serviced first. Most dealerships and full service garages have the equipment and can run a cleaning solution through them. My neighbor bought a 05 Outback that was behaving with an occasional misfire and at my mechanics recommendation took it in for a fuel injector service, the owner say it cured his misfire and gets better gas mileage than before. Just a thought, I'm sure there will be others commenting.
I have run LOTS of cleaner through the injectors, the problem is they leak at idle. p.s. don't take your car to the dealership for an "injector flush" it turns out they just charge you an hours worth of labor to pour of bottle of detergent in your gas tank. Total rip

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you plan to go bigger in the future, now is a good time to upgrade. Replacing injectors isn't too hard, its not a walk in the park though...

No special tools required.

Not enough information as to the failure mode to recommend whether just to mess with one or mess with all of them...
So what size would be good? 600? Also, does that decrease mileage if I have stock maps and hardware?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
So what size would be good? 600? Also, does that decrease mileage if I have stock maps and hardware?
You need to be tuned (injector scaling) if you're running different than stock size injectors. Is yours a turbo model or nonturbo? If nonturbo, no benefit to changing injectors.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turbo

Its a turbo ej255. If the stocks are good to about 300 HP that's good enough for me, I will likely never exceed that. If I do ever go past 300 it would mean I have more money than I do now and that buying new injectors ain't no thang.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update - Replaced the injector on #4 and things seem to be running smoother now, although there is still a relatively rough idle. The rough idle was present when I bought it used at 45K, is this normal, or will i be replacing more injectors in the near future? Also, I talked to COBB here in Salt Lake and they recommended sticking with the stock injectors unless upgrading the turbo as well. Stating that all the boost the stock compressor can produce will be less than or equal to the capacity of the injectors. Makes sense.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
765 Posts
Update - Replaced the injector on #4 and things seem to be running smoother now, although there is still a relatively rough idle. The rough idle was present when I bought it used at 45K, is this normal, or will i be replacing more injectors in the near future? Also, I talked to COBB here in Salt Lake and they recommended sticking with the stock injectors unless upgrading the turbo as well. Stating that all the boost the stock compressor can produce will be less than or equal to the capacity of the injectors. Makes sense.
From the day I had my car with 4000 miles the idle is sometimes "rough" enough to lightly jingle the keys in my ignition. They do not idle smoothly. It is actually slightly better post mods and tune. Your likely normal now.

Leave your injectors stock unless you go to a turbo larger than a VFxx.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Serious issue with #4

Okay, so i need this cleared up because Im still getting an error code for cyl 4 despite changing the injector. I assumed I changed CYL 4 based on what I read here and because of the vauge (crappy) illustration in the Chilton book. So i am appealing to those in the know. Is the firing order this

or this

I did the top, i am starting to guess is the bottom.

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
O-crap

so i DID replace the wrong injector, and I was planning on taking the good injector from what turns out to be cyl 1 and replace the bad injector with cyl 4. The trouble is that I am an idoit and didn't pick up new o-rings. when i fired it up it was smelling like gas and looking wet around the injector so i turned it off...dang it! Question: is it necessary to buy subaru injector o-rings from the dealer? or will properly sized generic o-rings do the trick?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5MT
87 Posts
Cyl 4 misfire? I just had this problem when I bought my 05 XT. It turned out that someone crossthreaded the plug in the hole, cut the boot to fit from the coil and the injector was there suffering. The dealership had it all fixed... no more code... 700 bucks later. lol

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cyl 4 misfire? I just had this problem when I bought my 05 XT. It turned out that someone crossthreaded the plug in the hole, cut the boot to fit from the coil and the injector was there suffering. The dealership had it all fixed... no more code... 700 bucks later. lol
So your saying the spark plug was cross threaded? and that you took it out and put it back in and it went away? I just had my plugs replaced, same issue. I don't think its a spark plug...although i have a feeling that I could be telling a similar "I was once $700 richer" tale.

Also, in case anyone is interested....you CANNOT but just the O-rings for this (04-05 xt) injector...its all or nothing. Looks like Im two injectors into this.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT
7 Posts
Cylinder #4 MisFire Solution ?

Hi Spokemaster,

MY 07 XT also has many miles with many bikes on it back :) Did you ever find a solution ? I have exactly the same problem P304 Code Cyl #4 Misfire . I have changed the coil pack and injector, all the plugs and no difference. Really rough idle, but acceleration seems pretty smooth and does not hesitate on the hwy ( however its been so long I may used to any power loss the engine is suffering )

Anyone!?! I am desperate...and running out of cash :(

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
2005 forester xt
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hopefully you didn't do what i did and mistook cyl 4 for cyl 1. check the image on the page previous to double check. I had to replace both. If you replaced the correct one they you may have damage to your piston in cyl 4 if you are still getting the code. Any thoughts anyone else?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
If you're having injector issues. Remove them and send them to deatschwerks. For 20$ per injectors they'll fully clean them and rebuild them with all new orings and screens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts