Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new here and just bought a Forester X today. I have always bought Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans, and this is my first Subaru. It's a Silver X A/T with a couple of nice options but nothing fancy- I wanted to buy the XT but could not afford the payments at this point. I just hope it is a trouble free experience and the Forester just grew on me the past year. Anyway, I hope to learn more from this forum. Hopefully, I can contribute something as well. I've owned many cars and motorcycles and I've learned a lot from messing with them. Now if I could only figure out how my auto-dimming mirror with compass and temperature, reveals the temperature:confused:

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
IIRC, the temperature will be found in the gauge cluster, not necessarily in the compass mirror. I'll have to check on that tomorrow when I get to work.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the warm welcome for me- a first-time Subaru owner. I'm hoping to avoid mods for now:)

My Nissan Pathfinder was pretty nicely (and expensively) rigged up with new springs, struts, shocks, and a dozen other things. Anyway, I'm sure I will fall victim to the mod-bug soon enough. I did read that the temp readout is under the odometer somewhere- my bad!

Have you guys had good luck with long-term/high mileage reliabilty of the Forester? I'm planning on keeping Dino oil in this for around 10K miles and then switching to Mobil1 synthetic. I'll prob do an oil change at 500 miles to get the metal shavings out of the new engine. After that, I'll change at 3K-5K and move to my usual 7,500 intervals with synthetic. My Accord had over 200K trouble-free miles when I sold it and I'm hoping the Forester is solid as well. I do need to wear out these horrible Geolander tires out and put something else on- Michelin Exalta (sp) maybe?

I'm also looking forward to the gas mileage improvement. What are you guys getting in the city?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Roo said:
IIRC, the temperature will be found in the gauge cluster, not necessarily in the compass mirror. I'll have to check on that tomorrow when I get to work.

Yes, in my '04, the temp is in a little window right by the odometer, at the bottom of the speedo. Not sure if it might be different for '06, though.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
Flyer, you live dangerously close to me, feel free to come by sometime if you want to do any mods :)

PS welcome

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
Hi there

I'm also new to the Subaru experience and to this forum (a great forum with a nice, friendly atmosphere).

I just ordered a 2.5XT (Crystal Grey) but unfortunately I have to wait until March to get my hands on it :-(

I'm looking very much forward to trying the FXT with the Prodrive Performance Package since I have only tested it in the standard/stock edition. With PPP fitted it should be good for around 280BHP :)

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Oh God, here we go again!:D

Living close to some Pathfinder and XTerra enthusiasts in Colorado go me into trouble. It's a good thing I started to mountain bike as much as I did. Well, maybe not because I spent all my money on nice bikes. There is no hope for us;)

Peaty said:
Flyer, you live dangerously close to me, feel free to come by sometime if you want to do any mods :)

PS welcome

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I just picked up my 06 XT today. Damn that thing is quick. I thought I was spoiled by my Cobb Stage 2 WRX but this thing hauls donkey. I can't imagine what a Stage 1 or Stage 2 will feel like.

I truly hate break-in periods.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
toddlamp said:
I just picked up my 06 XT today. Damn that thing is quick. I thought I was spoiled by my Cobb Stage 2 WRX but this thing hauls donkey. I can't imagine what a Stage 1 or Stage 2 will feel like.

Just be patient...it will be worth it in the long run.;)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,683 Posts
I think you'll like it here. Noobies are welcome. It's a no mocking zone.

Suggestions on how to get the most out of this place:

- Try the search function before asking a question, as the answer might well be here already. I do have to temper that advice a bit, however, since the forum just started up again and we are slowly reconstituting what was once a well developed (though rather randomly organized) knowledge base.

- If faced with conflicting advice about anything, believe Peaty.

Regarding your mirror/compass. Be sure to perform the compass calibration procedure specified in your owner's manual. Otherwise you have no assurance whatever that what it says is right. And if you care about really good accuracy, adjust the reading for declination. You can get the necessary information at www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/jsp/Declination.jsp

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
bbottomley said:
- If faced with conflicting advice about anything, believe Peaty.
No finer words have been spoken here.:D

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,683 Posts
toddlamp said:
It used to be fun driving on the Autobahn near the Mercedes factory in Stuttgart. Temporary German license plates were red on white vs. the normal black on white. When you spotted a Mercedes with one of these it meant that he had just picked up his car at the factory and was still in the break-in period. This was your one chance to harass a Mercedes in the same fashion that they harrassed everybody else (except Porsches and perhaps BMWs).

I would not want to be anywhere near a Mercedes when it crossed out of the break-in period. Germans are very exact about these things, and at exactly x,000 km--watch out!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts