Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is James. I am not new to Subies but I am new to Forester's. I own a 2005 Legacy 2.5i (wife's ride). We love it and it has never given us any problems. We have a baby on the way and I needed a car to drive to and from work that is baby friendly unlike my truck.

Its a 99 Forester L, black, automatic, 138k miles on it. The guy listed it as having a bad tranny. He was driving to work one day and it made a whirling noise, a thud, and it just stopped moving. Engine was running fine though. Park did not hold the car from moving either. After some searching on here and NASIOC, I found that this is a symptom of an axle CV joint snapping or splines stripping out on the axle. So I went to look at it knowing exactly what to look for. And wouldn't you know, the front drivers side outer CV joint was busted. The axle would turn out to that joint, but would not turn the wheel, or hold the wheel when in park. I made the guy an offer of $1500 and he took it. I can't wait to get it home and back on the road.

The engine also has a bit of a misfire. It idles a little rough but revs fine. I don't think it is a dead cylinder because it runs and revs to well to be that. The guy had said in the higher RPMs you cannot even tell. I am guessing it is a fuel injector stuck open and causing a rich condition at idle, but is less of an issue at higher RPMs.

So far this forum is great, and I look forward to looking around on it.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester & good luck on the repairs. With 138K miles, make sure the timing belt replacement has been done. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
You got that for a steal! Welcome!

As to the misfire, throw some di-electric grease on the coil pack ends, that cleared mine up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts