Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm at the point where I'm ready to upgrade my 1997 Toyota RAV4. I've been a fan of the boxer engine for a while, and am now looking into getting a first or second generation Forester for my next car. I'm going to post a more detailed question in the Shopping forum, but I thought I'd stop in here first. Looks like a great community here.

J

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Welcome to the our neck of the woods! Good luck with your search... you'll find a lot of helpful friendly people on here

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,716 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search! Post a picture when you find one. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Welcome to the board. If you like a little nicer interior, the second generation are better. Besides that I guess a service history is good like any other car you buy. There are a few weaknesses. Atleast with the first gen. had some HG failures but if they are changed once it's unlikely it will happen again. Wheel bearings are also a little weak they say.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,734 Posts
Welcome, and enjoy your new to you Forester(when you get it).

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
good luck in your search. I've owned 2 different 2000s and have a 2004. I mostly like the 2004 better, but they each have their quirks. just got headgaskets done on mine at 86,000 miles but hope to keep it for a long time.

ironically for 2009+ I would buy a Rav4 V6 5spd auto over the Forester.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the very warm welcome.

I hadn't noticed how much nicer the 2nd gen. interior was until you pointed it out, Elmy.

Actually though, I think I like the 2002 version of the 1st gen. better in terms of the exterior looks. Those brake lights look much nicer to me... I guess the 2nd gen. seems to have better airbags too.

Woody, I like the current V6 RAV4 a little bit better than the current Forester too, but either are way out of the question for me for the moment... maybe next time perhaps.

Thanks again everyone for such a friendly welcome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you like a little nicer interior, the second generation are better.
You were so correct about this! I test drove a 2002 today and the interior looked too dated to me. Going to look for a 2nd Gen. 2003+ this time to test drive next.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
You were so correct about this! I test drove a 2002 today and the interior looked too dated to me. Going to look for a 2nd Gen. 2003+ this time to test drive next.
Ofc I'm correct:raspberry:

I hope you be happy with whatever model you choose. Good luck

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S-Turbo EAT
28 Posts
Welcome to this forum from The Netherlands (it's almost Spring finally) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts