Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I installed my Alpine IDA-x100 so I can play my iPod with the iPod interface on the head unit!!!

Picked up the wiring harness from Best Buy the other day and went ahead and wired it up…

Now for the dash dismantle!
Start by un-doing the HVAC cables from behind the dash. You will find these in the foot wells in the middle of both the passenger and driver’s side.

Put car in neutral (so the center piece will come out), remove shift knob, cover shift threads with paper towel roll to prevent scratching, and pry the shift surround off starting towards the back of the car…

You’ll have to unplug the wiring harness on the power outlet

At this point I realized that it sucks to live in Florida. IT’S FREAKING MAY 1!!!!!!!! This is a problem.

But every problem has a solution. Here is mine.

Undo the two screws on the bottom of the HVAC panel, and pry from the bottom until only the bottom clips come undone.

Now pry the top off…

Undo the wiring harness on the hazard light and you have this…

…and this.

Remove the 2 screws on top of the radio and the two screws on the bottom… then pull radio and undo antenna and wiring harness.

Undo 2 screws mounting each side of the radio to the bottom and the mount…

Problem 2- Don’t drop the screws between the center console and the seat. (Yes, my e-brake area is dirty)

Put new radio in mount and screw 2 screws in on each side.

I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby so I can have my iPod in the cubby while driving for that clean look…

Duct tape is only trashy when you can see it!

Hook antenna and wiring harness to new unit and put in dash, then screw in the 4 screws.

I should add that now is a good time to insure that the radio works.

Put everything back the way you took it apart.

Not too shabby actually. Took about 20 minutes.

I should also add that the iPod cable charges the iPod as well. Great in that it charges it. Not great in that it will drain your car battery I would imagine. So don’t leave it hooked up!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Nice to see a single DIN installation, seems like everything else I've been reading is all about double DIN installs.:Banane35:

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I paid full retail for the head unit I probably would have gone with a double din too... but my buddy had this laying around since he traded his truck...

And I have to admit I love the storage below...

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you wearing a hurricanes shirt?
Not just no, HELL no! HAHAHA

My brother goes to USF so I am representing for him today. I went to UF, so seeing me sporting a "U" is not something you will see unless I lose a bet. (Which has happened before). :icon_biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts