Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new Alpine head unit into my 2001 subaru forester. Everything works fine but for some reason whenever i turn the car off and back on everything on the stereo resets as well as my odometer. I cant figure out the problem does anyone else have any thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

If you said only the head unit looses its settings, I'd say the memory, or unswitched +12V is missing. With your other issue, I'd guess you have a blown fuse... just a guess of course. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2001 Subaru
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

It seems like its the memory because it only effects the short term electric on the car nothing else. How would i fix that?

·
Administrator
39,535 Posts
Have you checked for blown fuses? Does your clock loose its setting? :confused:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2001 Subaru
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my stock clock has never worked but it never effected anything else. How would i check my fuses? I'm pretty new to car mechanics and electrical lol

·
Administrator
39,535 Posts
If you have an owners manual it will give you the fuse locations & what each fuse does. The fuses are located on driver side on the lower dash panel. It should be marked. There are also fuses in the engine compartment. You're going to have to look to see if a fuse looks blown...smoked. It's not always that easy to tell if the fuse is blown, without pulling it out & looking at it. :smile:

Keep in mind I'm just making guesses & the problem may be something else. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2001 Subaru
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright i will take a look in the morning. Also it seems like none of the electrical inside my car(lights, etc..) works unless the key is in the ignition which is strange because it was fine before i put the head unit in. Not sure if that's relevant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts