Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new member here (yo:bacon:) and i just got some new issues goin on here. i just got my car back from a shop that did both head, intake, exhaust gaskets, radiator flush, tstat, and couple other things.

now i have a tranny fluid leak somewhere (just cleaned and check tomarrow), i get a weird fuel delivery (when first start runs ok, let sit for half hour after being at op temp, runs funny like vaper locking but runs fine if you shut it off and let still for 5-10 minutes) then i get some weird shift points and hard shifts on occaision.

if anyone can help point me in a somewhat good direction its highly appriciated

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
Id take it back to the shop that worked on it and ask them to fix it. The work had cost quite a few bones. Hopefully they back their work want to do whats right.

Kenny

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id take it back to the shop that worked on it and ask them to fix it. The work had cost quite a few bones. Hopefully they back their work want to do whats right.

Kenny
I already talked to the guy. he said its not a direct problem from the work done. this is what i get for takin my car to a shop i dont know

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
As far as fuel delivery and shift points go you could try disconnecting the battery for awhile. Once you reconnect it, go out and drive the car like you normally drive without holding back. This should retrain the computer and get things working right if it's a non mechanical problem. I hope it works.

Kenny

Oh, and if it proves to be mechanical, I would demand they check it out and fix it or start calling places like the better business bureau. You may actually have to have another shop check it out to prove what is wrong so you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
The shop may have taken the transmission cooler lines loose to do the head gaskets so I would start looking at the lines first for the leak.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Trans cooling lines have to be released from driver's side cylinder head to remove head. I did this and let it hang from short jumper hoses while I pulled cylinder heads. A significant trans fluid leak developed on restart that took a while to locate.

good luck

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trans cooling lines have to be released from driver's side cylinder head to remove head. I did this and let it hang from short jumper hoses while I pulled cylinder heads. A significant trans fluid leak developed on restart that took a while to locate.

good luck
found the leak. not what i was hoping for.

found out today (after cleaning everything a few days ago and keeping a close eye on it) that fluid is being pushed out the vent tubes. so my tech called a few people seeing if doing a flush would help. they said that its most likely a bad spring in a solenoid or the pump going out. luckily, it only leaks (so far) at high speeds (75+), and even at that time, it only pushes alil out.

so next question. since this might be a solenoid/valve problem, can i go to the junkyard, find a valvebody, rebuild it and put new solenoids in and throw that in? or would it be easier to just do a tranny swap

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
Is the transmission overfilled? I have never seen this problem of fluid coming from the vents. Do you know that the front diff dip stick is on the passenger side and the transmission dip stick is on the drivers side? I have seen shops fill the diff with atf.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the transmission overfilled? I have never seen this problem of fluid coming from the vents. Do you know that the front diff dip stick is on the passenger side and the transmission dip stick is on the drivers side? I have seen shops fill the diff with atf.
thats new to me. i knew of the tranny dip stick, not diff. and the tranny was alil over filled, so i'm gunna give it a few more days before i have a final conclusion. i also need to change the diff fluid, whats the preffered weight? i have plenty of 75w-90 from previous jobs, and 3 quarts of redline mtl

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
75W90 will work great the drain plug is just forward of the transmission pan it will be a 21mm head on the plug right above the y pipe. It could be a t70 if the transmission has been replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts