Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT Manual
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone with the Centre and bb new age h&S have problems using the standard rubber hangers / location?

The actual tail pipe bit of the back box is touching the underside of the frame at the back on mine. I'm sure it can't be right and is making the back end vibrate a bit.. Did anyone else get this? Should I just get bigger rubber hangers for it or bend the hangers? Don't want to break it etc

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT Manual
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it forester specific back box? as they usually are fine
Yer brand new off their website..

Is the towing point standard or an add on? Maybe my frame is different at the back or something...

Looking from the back its the hanger on the right which is 'hoyking' it up so the one on the left is above where it needs to be.

Couple of cms should make the difference I hope

·
Premium Member
06 2.5 XT MT
242 Posts
I had the same problem mate, thought I was the only one but if a few of us have had these problems maybe we should be reporting it so they can at least investigate.

I looked at those same hangers and the hole to hole distance wasn't long enough for me. I ended up getting a couple of those foot long rubber strap hangars cut to the lengths I needed. It was a bodge at the time cos I needed anything that would do the job but its performing so well I'm not changing it for anything else.

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT Manual
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm strange - I'll let H&S know - might just need a tweak to their process or something so they might appreciate knowing.. well actually i'll see what these rubber hangers do first like.. hope they're long enough - i've just ordered two of them :|

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Same here.

The guys at my local tire & exhaust place fitted the two and it was obvious straight away that the hangers on the back box were not right. The chap doing the fitting simply hauled his acetylene set out, got the hangers cherry red and applied special tool No.1 (hammer).

That worked. Clearly the jig that H&S use is not correct...

You can see here where they toasted mine to get it to fit:

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
My standard XT exhaust had to be "improved" using the same method after fitting a Subaru tow bar. It seems the tolerance is pretty tight to start with and it's Subaru who should be designing in more space.

Glad you have it sorted though.

·
Premium Member
MY05 Legacy Tuned by STI; MY05 Impreza Spec C WR Ltd
1,014 Posts
yes mine wouldn't even fit under the bumper on the STI, but just changed the rubber hangers for some slightly longer ones off ebay.

Think they're like 65mm hole centres or maybe 80mm hole centres....

I remember they're red, can hunt the part numbers out for you, but laptop won't network to desktop pc at thisvery moment so can't look it up

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,434 Posts
I've had a few rear silencers from H&S and not had a problem with 'touching cloth' myself and I do sell them on my website.....I was however thinking of getting a stainless steel prodrive copy made up as my brother gets exhausts made for him in China for the Supras and GTRs. He had a couple made in the UK for him by a reputable companies and the other in China and when he showed them to me he said 'which one looks best to you?' The one from China was the best by a mile and looked like time and care had been taken over it , perfect welding, perfect fit etc, basically quality.....the two from the UK were shoddy to say the least ...... no wonder China are where they are now!

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT Manual
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got those yellow rubber mounts on and sorted the issue - its nice and firm now and not touching the frame any more so thats that sorted...

my next issue is how to get the old 'gasket' off between the centre pipe and the cat.. its as if its all one solid chunk of rust.. is it just a case of scraping it away which I was just trying but didnt really get very far..

I've got a brand new gasket ready to go on too - thought it was gunna be an easy job!. sighh

anyone got any tips?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
06 2.5 XT MT
242 Posts
Result! Should be able to lever the whole thing off with a screwdriver and hammer? Mine wasn't as bad as that but I was able to drive a flathead down between gasket and flange and wiggle it til it was free. And wear glasses or at least squint and look away. My eyes just watered remembering rust in the eye.

Hope the rest goes smoothly for you!

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Result! Should be able to lever the whole thing off with a screwdriver and hammer? Mine wasn't as bad as that but I was able to drive a flathead down between gasket and flange and wiggle it til it was free. And wear glasses or at least squint and look away. My eyes just watered remembering rust in the eye.

Hope the rest goes smoothly for you!
Lever off with screwdriver and hammer. :crazy::icon_eek:

·
Premium Member
06 2.5 XT MT
242 Posts
Lever off with screwdriver and hammer. :crazy::icon_eek:
Yup, what's not to understand about that method?

REALLY specific instructions if you're not sure what I mean...and btw I don't mean chip the rust off. You wedge the screwdriver in the direction of the pipe between the pipe and the donut, set it with a couple of taps with the hammer and then free it from the pipe with a levering motion. Repeat all the way round.

I'm well up for criticism but at least use more than a couple of emoticons eh? :shrug::icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT Manual
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
made sense to me :)

'lever' was the clarifying word as opposed to 'beat' haha

I shall be trying tomorrow in the daylight

·
Registered
2004 2.5 XT Manual
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I finally got it sorted and can now enjoy the sound of the h&s exhaust!

Took a but of digging / hammering etc but happy now..

Sounds great now, not too noisy (got the resonated centre pipe) but still loud enough to enjoy. And importantly to me the dog doesn't seem to mind the increased burble :)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts