Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
O O O
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Adam and I live near Harrisburg, PA. Im 24 yrs old and work for volvo construction equipment. I have a fairly strong mechanical background and enjoy tinkering with things. My past obsession was diesel trucks. Had a handful of cummins, and turned my last truck into a puller.

Ive just in the past few days began looking at foresters. I have never owned one but really like the looks of the forester. I have been looking at the xt models ( of course) hahaha

A few of my friends drive the wrx and sti's. i love the power but there isnt enough room for me. So the forester xt seems to be where ive been looking.

I found a guy close by with an 04 xt 5 speed. It has 184,00 miles and the current owner purchased it at an auto auction wrecked. Supposedly in a collision with a motorcycle???? Has new front fenders, hood, bumper headlights... And so on. He has mentioned that the headgaskets are seeping and has no idea the condition of the timing belt or turbo. He is asking 4k whats a fair price? Or should I stay away? Any help would be awesome. And if I go to look at it what shoul I be looking at? Thanks in advance!!!! Adam

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,932 Posts
I'm not seeing the love on this one. Subarus can be pretty reliable but if they are unknown origin ..they are complicated and can cost big money really fast. As a minimum it will need a new turbo If the cam belt job has ever been done incorrrectly you can be in for big dollars. I would recommend a compression test.

Also at 105 miles..timing belt, water pump, idlers and tensioner need done. That's what is usually neglected. Good luck. Notice I live in E-Town.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Wrecked AND high mileage with no service records? Run.

·
Registered
O O O
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will add that I offered him 2500 for it and he seems interested in letting it go for that. What is the cost of a new timing belt, water pump, tensioners and so on. Ive done 2.2 belts and many other timing belts so Im sure I can handle this job. Also is life expectancy low on the turbos? Is there somwhere the offers new rebuild kits? Ibe rebuilt a handful of turbos so thats something else I feel comfortable doing.

·
Registered
O O O
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the compression supposed to be? I have a gauge and adaptors I could take along with me.

·
Registered
O O O
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not seeing the love on this one. Subarus can be pretty reliable but if they are unknown origin ..they are complicated and can cost big money really fast. As a minimum it will need a new turbo If the cam belt job has ever been done incorrrectly you can be in for big dollars. I would recommend a compression test.

Also at 105 miles..timing belt, water pump, idlers and tensioner need done. That's what is usually neglected. Good luck. Notice I live in E-Town.
Ill be honest and say I dont know where elizabethtown is haha. I actually live in duncannon pa as of a few months ago! But i grew up on huntingdon county, near raystown lake in huntingdon/heston. Im not too familiar with anything much this way, besides carlisle a bit.

·
Registered
O O O
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it does run and drive, hes driven it for the last 6 months and even offered to meet me halfway to look at it. I understand that zero means bent valves haha but what should compression really be 120 psi or so

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
100 Posts
I am new here so I don't know what average compression is on the forester. BUT what you want to look for is any major difference in compression between cylinders. If three are 120 and one is 80 then you know you have a problem. Like I said though, I don't know what average is for the forester... To me it looks like a fun project and worse case scenario you are looking at rebuilding or swapping the engine. If you have the funds and mechanical skills I would say go for it and have fun.

·
Registered
O O O
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok im going to check clmpression. I understan that the number itself isnt the crucial part, that the variances in it are what could point to a problem. Such as bent or burnt vales, or even possible ring or headgasket failure.

Can anyone chime in and tell me anything about the 5mt's? How tough are they and how much abuse will they take?

·
Registered
O O O
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well after some more searching, I was able to find an 04 xt with 197k miles. Its at used car lot about 300 miles away. The asking price is 2800 and this thing looks mint. All the options and heating package. The ad says its a one owner car! Im hoping its maintained well. Only problem is, how do I get a car from conneticut to pennsylvania without trailering or shipping it?

·
Registered
'93 GF8 EJ253/25D hybrid '04 WRX with LSD
32 Posts
I would definately do a compression and leak down given the miles and its forced induction. You should see at least 120 across all 4 cylinders.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts