Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Murano
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
Probably getting ready to retire my 2003 Murano.
Boy, is the nissanmurano.org forum great.
This one looks good too.
I am a 71 YO retired Computer jock. Married. Live in Ft Myers Florida.
We currently have a 2003 Murano and 2008 Cadillac DTS. Both bought new.
I typically keep a car 6 or 7 years.

Wife will be primary driver.
Long distance trips will probably be done in our 08 Cadillac DTS.
But medium trips (up to <> 200 miles) and errands,etc will be done in this car.

I like something that is quick and quiet. MPG is secondary.
Don't teally need AWD. But Forester is, IMO, a good looking looking litle ute.

Looking at everything from Equinox, to CX7 to Escape to Outback to EX35 to RDX to Tiguan. Even the Mercedes Benz GLK!

The Tiguan is Numero Uno so far based on apparent quality, performance and looks.

Will start going to dealers soon.

But a couple of basic questions first.

I know that I will not buy a base car. But how much more than base is the question....

That may be impacted by the following questions...

1- I don't see a Homelink or a Universal Garage Door Opener. I have a Garage AND a gated community. No matter what I buy, I am not going to carry remotes. What is the answer on the Forester?

2- I have an iPod. Don't know how many 71 YO guys have one.......but I do.
I don't require complete integration.
But I do require the ability to adjust volume and click to move to next/previous song on the steering wheel.
Would also require the iPod to be charged by the connection.
What is the answer on the Forester?

I have an upper limit of less than $35K.
Looking forward to my dealer visit/test drive.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,008 Posts
Welcome aboard! My G-Ma lives in the Landings...
I have always thought that VW's are mechanically noisy vehicles.
That being said, the Forester does not have what I would consider a quiet interior. More rattles and road noise than engine. Especially compared to the inside of a Cadillac.
I'll let '10 owners discuss the iPod and Homelink details for the new models.
Enjoy your test drives and let us know what you decide regardless.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
your answers:

1) There is a auto-dim mirror with homelink available as an accessory https://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_105_109&products_id=1379
2) The Subaru i-pod adapter will meet your requirements. It will charge and for the most part you will have control from the steering wheel. (Skip, volume etc.) https://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_105_108&products_id=1352

With your cap of 35k you would be able to get a full load Forester XT with the above accessories and still money to spare.

It's a great car, not quite as big as some of the others you are looking at, but all things considered, for my needs, it was the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
I had a CX-7 GT. It was nice and quiet inside, comfy, had a Great sound system and it had some pep, but it was heavy. Also, I found that the AWD was inadequate for what I liked. It also got horrible gas mileage, 14mpg around town and 16-17mpg highway. If it weren't for the poor gas mileage, lack of aftermarket parts and crappy AWD, I would have kept the car.

From what I read, I think the RDX would fit you well.

·
Registered
2003 Murano
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info

At least there are answers even if they require more money for purchase/install. You would be surprised how difficult it is to even get the answers on my list of suspects.

The CX7 may not be a player.
The RDX does indeed have Homelink and iPod. We are down to a test ride there. How much Turbo lag and how "rough" a ride?

Went and looked at the Tiguan yesterday. Dealer was closed except for one sales guy who was basically answering questions.....not much inventory, all base stuff,and no knowledge whatsoever about ipod..........
The car looks like it is built to very high standards as to quality of materials and fit.......

Looked at the MB GLK.........no one there...........it was anodd paint........sort of a burgandy and the paint was "flat". Had no "pop" at all........

I DO appreciate the answers/suggestions.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I'd take a look at the H-6 Outback, too. Should be nicely loaded, plenty of scoot, and have more creature comforts than even the nicest Forester.

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Tallahassee. Florida and it's endless sand can be just as demanding for AWD as the northern climates with snow and ice. AWD is not a bad feature to have on a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
There is an optional Homelink mirror available as a dealer accessory for the Forester.
I can't comment on the iPod connectivity though of the new models though, but I've heard that the LGT steering wheel with the stereo controls swaps into our cars without any issues.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
your answers:

1) There is a auto-dim mirror with homelink available as an accessory https://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_105_109&products_id=1379
2) The Subaru i-pod adapter will meet your requirements. It will charge and for the most part you will have control from the steering wheel. (Skip, volume etc.) https://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_105_108&products_id=1352

With your cap of 35k you would be able to get a full load Forester XT with the above accessories and still money to spare.

It's a great car, not quite as big as some of the others you are looking at, but all things considered, for my needs, it was the best bang for your buck.
+1
You can even get it with the NAV unit for under or around 32K with everything you have mentioned........have them add the front spoiler, it makes the FOZ look better/sportier, well IMHO.

Welcome to the forum! This is a great place.

Some pics of mine for reference: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/hot09xt-journal-55428/

·
Registered
2003 Murano
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll just take that one! AND....you can keep Lamont!

Nice looking truck. Really nice......and homelink.......and iPod...........

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
I'll just take that one! AND....you can keep Lamont!

Nice looking truck. Really nice......and homelink.......and iPod...........
Thanks............I know that you said you didn't really want or need AWD but during your first really heavy downpour, which happens here in FLA alot, you'll be glad you have it. I rarely slow down on the HWY during rain, don't take this wrong, I'm not flying............above 80 or anything but the FOZ feel very solid and planted in wet conditions at HWY speeds. There's a thread here with video of the Symetrical AWD, and it compares it with other vehicles, up hill simulation giving only 1 wheel traction..........very neat. Toyota has been trying to buy this from Subaru for many years now and they (SUBARU) won't give it up. Toyota owns 18%, or close, of Subaru.

Now you offended Lamont, and he hate's to be offended. :biggrin: It actually works really well at nite when I need a bit of extra light in the center console area and don't want to turn on the maps lights. Really ties the blue thing all together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Tiguan and a 2010 Forester XT. Tiguan build quality is higher, just feels like a German car because it is. Interior is nicer. Engine a bit smoother. Steering is tighter and it handles a little better. Feels quicker off the line, but my XT is actually faster 0-60, probably because of the 6 speed (auto) in the VW and a higher first gear ratio. That being said I love the Forester. Outstanding value in AWD. Tiguan comes in FWD pretty cheap though. In FL I would get an SE Tiguan with leather and the panoramic sunroof.

·
Registered
2003 Murano
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot guys

I bought a Mercedes GLK RWD.
It does everything I need to do and is an awesome highway ride.

BOL to you guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts