Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
07 Forester Celebration
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As part of the Geneva show presentation on the subaru-global.com website, there is a slideshow of the line-up of powerplants and of the Impreza XV.
As a newbie I cannot post the url but the following should help get you there...

/special/geneva2010_special/index.html

The press conference (and others) can be found here:
salon-auto.tv/pressconf/

Tim

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So is it an H6 with two pots chopped off, or a diesel with sparkplugs added?
I think it's some of both. The H6 and 2.0D share the same bore spacing and cast together type cylinder liners. That means smaller bore sizes and longer strokes than current gas engines. The 2.0L layout is already there with the 2.0D except it uses pistons with really thick crowns. Gas engine pistons can be much shorter so a longer rod could be used for the 3rd Gen 2.0L gas engine. Using the shorter rods as used in the 2.0D and 3.6 H6 would allow for a longer stroke. An easy combination there would be a 2419cc H4 with two cylinders cut off the H6 like you suggest. The displacement of the H4 is not going to stretch much beyond that though as bore is close to maxed out on the H6 and the rods on the six and diesel are really at the short limit I think and overall engine width is constrained by the engine bay dimensions.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,587 Posts
I think it's some of both. The H6 and 2.0D share the same bore spacing and cast together type cylinder liners. That means smaller bore sizes and longer strokes than current gas engines. The 2.0L layout is already there with the 2.0D except it uses pistons with really thick crowns. Gas engine pistons can be much shorter so a longer rod could be used for the 3rd Gen 2.0L gas engine. Using the shorter rods as used in the 2.0D and 3.6 H6 would allow for a longer stroke. An easy combination there would be a 2419cc H4 with two cylinders cut off the H6 like you suggest. The displacement of the H4 is not going to stretch much beyond that though as bore is close to maxed out on the H6 and the rods on the six and diesel are really at the short limit I think and overall engine width is constrained by the engine bay dimensions.
Gee, it would be horrible to have a wider track!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well now we know how big the Forester version of this engine will be.

Subaru Forester gets new engine for 2011, improved fuel economy — Autoblog

From the Press Release info:

Forester®
• All-new engine for Forester 2.5X models (turbocharged 2.5XT retains current engine); new
bore/stroke dimensions with slightly longer stroke; displacement slightly larger (2,498 cc vs.
2,457 cc); chain driven double overhead cam vs. belt driven single overhead cam before; 170
horsepower is same as before, at slightly lower rpm; torque is up to 174 lb.-ft. at 4,100 rpm
(vs. 170 @ 4,400 rpm); fuel economy is improved: 2011 manual and automatic transmissions
-- 21 mpg city / 27 mpg highway vs. 2010 20/27 for manual and 20/26 for automatic.

Guy

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Wagon
67 Posts
2011 Forester w/DOHC-Chain Drive

Recent browsing of Joe Spitz' cars101.com reflects the 2011 Forester has been updated to have a 2.5 H4 with chain driven DOHC. He doesn't show the Outback H4 with this change.

Anyone know anything about this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts