Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an 05 FX, MT, 9K miles, silver and after a couple days seems to be a really nice solidly built vehicle. We also test drove an 04 FXT, but it was $2,500 more than the FX which we picked up for $17,6K (the FXT is still for sale at $19,9 with 15K miles on it at Evanston Subaru, Chicago area).
Having the turbo would have been nice, but this is will be driven by my wife and I figured 3 turbos between 2 drivers was a little much! (I currently drive an 01 Audi A6 2.7T twin turbo 6MT).

Anyway, excited about our new purchase, and first order of business is to figure out a roof rack system for the car. I have the factory cross bars on the car, but am not interested in the upright bike mounts that fit onto these rails. I would like the bike trays that lock the front fork via a skewer. I don't think there is a factory product such as this. So I guess my option is a standard roof rack such as Yakima. But my question is, if I take the cross bars off, that remaining rails don't seem to be shaped in a way that a Yakima rack could attach to them. The thing is, will standard Qclips and Qtowers be tall enough to clear these rails????

Thanks in advance for your help,
Luca-

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome. There are Forester specific towers that run about $120 that attach to the Yakima bars. Alternatively, if you only have a couple of things to attach, you can by clips that mount the items directly to the Forester cross bars. I have the Yakima ski carrier attached to my factory rack this way.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
offroading

Exactly what are the off-road limitations of my new car? Never planned on taking it off road per se, but after browsing the site I keep seeing it come up.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
fagundes79 said:
Exactly what are the off-road limitations of my new car? Never planned on taking it off road per se, but after browsing the site I keep seeing it come up.

Thanks
This thread might give you an idea... although I wouldn't recommend most of what you see there without the appropriate protection (sump guards/skid plates, diff protectors, etc.) and a healthy dose of common sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts