Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
? ?
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow SF.org members!

I just joined this fine site a few minutes ago, after a few months of enjoying the wealth of informative resources and friendly demeanor of members here.

I guess I'll start my formal introduction with a little information about myself: My name is Dav (short for the Hungarian pronunciation of David), and I reside in Toronto, Canada where I make a living servicing Diesel engines in sailboats, as well as running a small canoe and kayak sales and repair business. I currently, and have always owned Volvo wagons, which I enjoy due to their safety, practicality, reliability and general refinedness, and have become quite competent in their maintenance and repair, having repaired or replaced the majority of the parts in these vehicles between my Father, friends and my own personal vehicles, including a few engine rebuilds.
However, recently I have repeatedly experienced the limitations of these vehicles, due to my pursuits involving travelling to some pretty remote places in pursuit of pristine areas to enjoy my hobbies of paddling and wildlife photography, and have pretty much decided that my next vehicle will be a Subaru Forester because, as far as I can tell, it is the absolute perfect vehicle for what I'm into.
Here's a few reasons I believe I have come to the right decision, please let me know if I am in error with any of my assumptions:

First off, I desire a vehicle with reasonable ground clearance and a usefully functioning AWD system, as I plan on travelling down some pretty rough and/or snowy roads in pursuit of my hobbies, without moving up to a gas-guzzling, chassis mounted 4X4. Through my research I can't really find a "cute ute" that really even holds a match to the Forester (I disassembled, inspected, and reassembled a manual trans. from a Forester during the classroom training component of my marine engine apprenticeship (wierd I know), and was fascinated and impressed by it's design.

Secondly, I require a station wagon layout with a flat, strong roof to accept my custom kayak carriers, as well as carry all the gear I require for work and play. I believe the forester has a pretty strong roof strength rating.

Reliability and safety are also big factors for me, both of which foresters seem to excel at.

Lastly I think they're just plain cool, I can't help but look and oogle at every forester that enters my line of sight (people say I have strange taste, but I consider Volvo wagons some of the sexiest machines around:discomonkey:)

So yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the vehicle for me!
So what I'm thinking now is getting a 2003+ forester N/A (yes I love turbos, but this will be an expedition vehicle, so mileage per tank is very important to me, and not having to search around for premium fuel in the middle of nowhere will be a relief to me, and I'd hate to risk pre-detonation by throwing the low stuff into a turbo engine). I'm still up in the air about auto vs. manual, as I miss shifting gears, and feel a standard tranny may be more reliable and I have had experience with them already. However auto does have it's benefits too (as I have read in the discussions on this board).

Anyways, I really look forward to having the priveledge of owning one of these fine vehicles (may not be for another year), and have immensely enjoyed and appreciated the knowledge and sound advice present in this forum.

I can't wait to be able to share my future fozzie powered adventures here, but will have to live vicariously through you guys until that day comes:Banane37:

All the best,

Dav

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Thank you for the introduction. Good luck on your Forester search & make sure you post up a picture when you find one. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
13 Posts
Welcome to the club Dav!

I think your reasoning is sound. Like I said when I bought my Foz, the Forester captures all the elements without being a major gas guzzler.

I don't think you'll be disappointed! :biggrin:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like you know what you want, hope you find it and it lives up to be everything you expected

·
Registered
? ?
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcomes!!! I look forward to the day I can share the enjoyment of such a fine vehicle with you guys!

Cheers,

Dav

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
The Forester does sound like the vehicle you need to do what you want... and the non-turbo model is likely your best bet. If you intend on doing a lot of snowy and muddy back roads, the Limited slip differential that is in the turbo models would likely give you grief you wouldn't want on those secluded Ontario back-roads. I know mine has given me the occasional unwanted kick-out on narrow muddy roads, and snowy fire lanes.
If you're looking for the best mileage you'll surely want the 5MT, but the 4EAT isn't bad either. The MY04 X models were the first to really not suffer from head gasket failure like previous generations, and if you're looking for ground clearance I'd shy away from the 07+ sports models unless you're planning on adding a lift to the vehicle to make up for the diminished approach angles with the sports bumper.

·
Registered
? ?
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the further replies and welcomes!!!
Duderotomy, thanks for the info! Narrows down my search a bit!!!

Cheers,

Dav

·
Registered
? ?
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey All,

A quick update, hope I'm not boring you guys too much: I met up with a good buddy of mine last night for drinks and some live surf music, and he was nice enough to let make take his Forester for a quick test drive!!!!
It was a 2003 2.5xs 5-speed, which unfortunately just had to have some major service due to the dreaded head-gasket failure and a clutch replacement. Anyways, I was extremely impressed with every aspect of the vehicle's operation and was grinning ear-to-ear the entire time!!!! What a sweet machine!!!!! Unfortunately, I didn't get a good look at the engine layout as it was dark and we were both without our flashlights (I leave the leatherman and fenix LT20 at home during social outings) but I'm sure I'll get a chance in the near future. Anyways, any inkling of doubt I may have had about this vehicle being right for me has vanished without a trace, and I am super eager to get my hands on one!!!!! :Banane08:

Dav

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
would you consider an 06 NA manual in silver? Absolutedly clean.
Not sure where you are located, but I know a guy in Toronto who bought an 08 and is trying to sell his 06.

·
Registered
? ?
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I certainly would, but unfortunately I won't really be in the market to buy one until next spring. I just started a business, so my money will be going other places until things are up and running. Doing as much research as I can in the meantime. Thanks for the tip, though! How's the weather up there in Ottawa? I'll be up there next week and am hoping for some fresh snow as I'm getting into tracking critters now! If you see a silver volvo wagon with brake for snakes and kayak stickers on it, give a honk!!!

Thanks again!

Dav

·
Registered
2008 XT Sports
343 Posts
Congrats on the start-up! You`re doing the right thing watching the cash situation.
Can you share in what area/industry?
I`d like to go back in business again...I`m looking to buy a business these days.
Weather has been great in Ottawa lately, but the forecast is not looking good: rain tomorrow, and then -15.
I`ll keep an eye out for the volvo! Let me know if you need suggestions on good to places to go in the area.

·
Registered
? ?
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Thanks! My business will mostly involve canoe and kayak sales and repairs, although I will still dabble in marine diesel engines, as I do enjoy teaching maintenance and troubleshooting classes and repowering sailboats with newer engines. Paddling is my passion, however, and I hope to concentrate on that mostly.
I'm visiting my buddy who is a student at U of Ottawa, so I will have to find some things to do while he's in class, so any suggestions are welcome! I'll probably hit up some museums and such, and also am volunteering in a mudpuppy (aquatic salamander) survey nearby as well as heading up to Gatineau PP to hopefully observe some mammals.

Thanks again,

Dav

1 - 17 of 17 Posts