Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I'm in the market for a Forester and actually just posted a wanted ad on the wanted forum - check it out! :icon_biggrin: - I am 24 y/o recent college grad whos Saturn just kicked out on him - I am in the market for a Forester and look forward to getting to know it inside and out with the help of this forum - take it easy!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Where about in Pittsburgh are you? I live in Regent Square!

When you get your forester you should come out to some of the local Subaru meets. Right now we only have two Foresters that come out, myself and GarageXTI included.

-Mike

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
Welcome from Indiana County PeeAye!

I sure enjoyed having the Forester this winter!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of you PA'ers know where I can find a good deal on a forester? I have my ad in the "wanted" forum :cool:

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
I saw some on the Pittsburgh Craigslist. Don't remember exact specs but seems like they were at least close to what you want.

Although thats the good and the bad about subarus. They hold their value pretty well. Under $6k and under 100k miles is going to be hard to find. You might be better off with one that has had a major mid-life tune up (timing belt, head gasket, the works) that has like 110k on it.

Maybe others can chime in on what years but you are probably going to look at foresters in the vintage of the head gasket issues. Once they are changed to a newer design the problem is gone, but you don't want to have to pay for that! Its not cheap on subarus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I saw some on the Pittsburgh Craigslist. Don't remember exact specs but seems like they were at least close to what you want.

Although thats the good and the bad about subarus. They hold their value pretty well. Under $6k and under 100k miles is going to be hard to find. You might be better off with one that has had a major mid-life tune up (timing belt, head gasket, the works) that has like 110k on it.

Maybe others can chime in on what years but you are probably going to look at foresters in the vintage of the head gasket issues. Once they are changed to a newer design the problem is gone, but you don't want to have to pay for that! Its not cheap on subarus.
That is what I am learning more and more about. I wouldnt mind picking up one with 100K+ miles on it, but I definitely dont want to have to replace the head gaskets. There are a few that are sub 5K and over 100Kmiles but I want to make sure the gasket problem is fixed and hopefully a timing belt has been replaced. Any way to gauge this before buying?

Also, is the "newer design" the ones after 2003 or the ones after 2009 where they completely revamped their look? I'm assuming you mean 2009, but I just want to clarify.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester XT Sports
1,705 Posts
That is what I am learning more and more about. I wouldnt mind picking up one with 100K+ miles on it, but I definitely dont want to have to replace the head gaskets. There are a few that are sub 5K and over 100Kmiles but I want to make sure the gasket problem is fixed and hopefully a timing belt has been replaced. Any way to gauge this before buying?

Also, is the "newer design" the ones after 2003 or the ones after 2009 where they completely revamped their look? I'm assuming you mean 2009, but I just want to clarify.
I am almost positive the problems were fixed by 2003 if not sooner. The ones I have dealt with in the past were in the late 90's and it was not specific to Foresters. I think the problems were mainly with the late 90's 2.5L DOHC (Dual Over Head Cam) motors. The newer DOHC motors don't seem to have the problem at all. I had to do the head gasket on my 97 Legacy 2.5GT after only 84k miles. Your best bet is to find one with an owner that kept records.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X L.L. BEAN
150 Posts
Welcome from Canonsburg PA, even though my profile still says WV. Its really nice to see some PA people on here. I will keep a look out for ya. if I run across anything like what you are looking for. Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S MT
76 Posts
welcome from Georgia. I just picked up on a 99 Forester S MT with 109K had HG,TB Valves , water pump seals and battery replaced within the last month.I paid $1400 for it. So they are out there, just be patient,:monkey_dance:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts