Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester Se
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. New to the board here but not to subarus. Some folks around here may recognize me.... Been on NASIOC, lgt.com, and legacycentral for years and am also one of the admins from ctsubaru.com. Started off with a wrx, but I currently have 2 subarus, and will be adding a 98 forester to the stable this coming weekend that is destined for an STI engine swap when it gets in the garage. My existing subys:

My beloved 2005 lgt limited 5spd wagon:

Engine/power:
Slowboy racing 20g 7cm housing (wrx/fitment)
Wbr fmic
Spt SRI (wrx fitment)
Gimmick turbo inlet
Witchhunter modified yellows 825cc
TGV Deletes
Goodridge braided/stainless oil feed line (removed banjo turbo killer filter of doom)
gt spec header/uppipe combo
Megan racing dp
Hand built 3'' single exhaust conversion
Grimmspeed 3port ebcs
Walbro 255
Southbend custom sprung clutch.
ACT lightweight flywheel
Tuning courtesy of Matt from Wicked Innovation

Handling/brakes:
Cobb sport springs
Kartboy sts
Grouppe N tranny mount
brembos

Show/wheels:
Blacked out stock grille
Black pc'd hella horn bracket and hellas
Rbs front lip
Version 1 eyelids painted to match
Hi/low Apexcone HIDs
17'' ssr comps
17'' torques
04 Sti bbs

1991 legacy ss 2.2t

Meagan Dp
SPT catback
hks fuel cut defender
tein h-techs
rs seats

Sorry for the long first post. Look forward to meeting some of you and learning more about my fozz as I get into this project!

·
Registered
98 Forester Se
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I'll post some pics up when I hit the 15 post minimum!

·
Registered
98 Forester Se
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yeah probably. It would take me forever to write a journal containing all my subaru endevours though. If I start one here it will most likely just have the forester project :icon_biggrin:

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,470 Posts
Welcome! We’re glad to have you here. Subaru, the official car of New England!

You'll find us a bit different from NASIOC--and I hope you find that a good thing! Or at least good enough. :icon_wink:

You've already done the first thing we ask of new members, and that's to provide an honest to goodness geographical location in your profile. The more fine-grained, the better! Connecticut is a big place, so can you narrow it down a bit? This is helpful to all of us in suggesting local sources of parts and service (and offering personal help). The next thing that would be useful is to put the vital info about your Forester into your signature. Year, model, and transmission type should do it. That lets us do a better job targeting our answers to any of your questions, and it makes it so that you don't have to remember to include this info in the text of your posts if you’re asking for assistance or advice. You can get to both signature and profile by pulling down Quick Links from the tan bar above.

In case you haven't already come across it, we've got a great FAQ sort of thread called Common problems, need your help! that everybody ought to become familiar with. It will point you to some of the best posts on how to deal with a lot of the more common situations you might encounter. And also look at the stickies up at the top of each forum's listings for answers to many of the most significant aspects of owning a Forester. Start with the stickies here at the New Member Introductions forum for info about Foresters in general and about how this place works.

·
Registered
98 Forester Se
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem!

Updated some of my info. I suppose I should be more clear on my to-be-acquired forester also....

A close friend of mine picked this 98 S up in stock, running condition with a 2.5l and auto trans last year sometime. We then gutted the drivetrain and stuffed an ej22t along with a 91ss 5sp trans in, with a 16g, fmic, and normal stage 2 goodies. I'm recieving the car without the motor and trans as I have an STI motor and a few spare 5spd laying around. Yes I know the 5spds will break, but since they're not strong enough to put in my wagon if it's trans fails, I might as well blow them up in a fun way. So I'm thinking about doing this car rwd. The same friend and I have done a few rwd subies for him, and they've been a blast.

I've been lurking on here for awhile, trying to gather info, which by the way this site has a WEALTH of! The mechanical aspect of this project I will be fine with... My problem, however, will be with the wiring merge I think. I have a complete longblock STI motor with a complete, uncut engine harness and ECU, and dbw pedal box. And the foresters electronics have never been cut as well, so at least I'm starting with a relatively clean slate.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,470 Posts
Glad to have you with us. We look forward to mining the wealth of your Subaru experience!

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
I knew it!
Let me get this straight though, you're buying that Forester that was on CL a couple of weeks ago with the EJ22T swap for $3800?

·
Registered
98 Forester Se
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I knew it!
Let me get this straight though, you're buying that Forester that was on CL a couple of weeks ago with the EJ22T swap for $3800?

Hey Rob! Haha you were another person I was going to be contacting....

Yes that forester that was on CL is owned by a friend of mine in lebanon. He had it up for sale for 3800 including the motor and trans. He was interested in my motorcycle that I was going to sell and asked if I wanted to trade with a little money on top on my end. Since I have a spare 2.2t and the STI motor I told him I'd go an even swap and he could keep his motor and trans out of the car which he agreed to. I won't get the motor and trans but I'll get the car with an exhaust, the fmic, wheels, suspension, sports grille, brand new front bumper/headlights/foglights and access to a parts car he had picked up for it as well.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. I assume you'll have to get a harness done for the STi swap. What was he running for wiring when it was a 22T? Did he get the 22T harness merged with the Forester one?

·
Registered
98 Forester Se
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Believe it or not he didn't change all that much....

I think there were a few things he kind of "skipped out" of. I know the thing ran a check engine light the whole time he has owned it.

He ran the 2.2T ecu and engine harness out of a 92 legacy ss. A couple of sensors needed to be lengthened or re-pinned to be used.

As far as a wiring merge. I was debating weather or not I want to take the project on myself.... I'm fine with the mechanical aspect but the wiring does frighten me I'm sad to admit.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
As far as a wiring merge. I was debating weather or not I want to take the project on myself.... I'm fine with the mechanical aspect but the wiring does frighten me I'm sad to admit.
I don't blame you there one bit, that's the only aspect of my swap I didn't dare take on myself. For the $600 it cost me to get it done professionally, it was welllllllllllll worth it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts