Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.0 X 5MT on LPG
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as mentioned on other topics, new foresters (most of them?) have burning rubber smell inside the cabin when engine is hot. this is supposevly from protective coating on the engine that is factory sprayed to protect it during transport.
authorized dealer claims one shoul not worry about it and that it will go in few tousand kilometers, but idenpendent subaru mechanic i visited recommends cleaning (washing ) the engine as it won't smell any more and because he says in a while engine will be all dirty from dust (this coating is very sticky and will absorb lots of dirt over the time).

any experience with this method?

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
I wash my engine twice a year using Simple Green diluted. Cool engine, spray, wait, hose off with usual garden hose pressure. Oh and if you have a manual transmission cover the clutch linkage b4 spraying to avoid removing the lubricating grease.

Drive to dry. Done.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Both are right, but your mechanic is more than right:confused:

Keeping the engine bay clean on a regular basis will help you spot any problems (I don't think you will have any). Also it gives you a chance to admire a wonderful piece of machinery and check all the fluids. I think a clean engine compartment is a sign of someone who takes care of their vehicles for the long run and I know mechanics recognize that.

Twice a year is probably sufficient, you'll be the judge. If the product Simple Green is not available, you can always use a mild dishwashing detergent like Dove (not sure if it's an international brand) with a bucket of water and sponge and rag. I've used both with good results. Wear an old pair of gloves as you can easily scratch yourself on hose clamps and parts. You can also wax the accessible painted parts under there as well.
WARNING-If you do use any type of spray on product, dilute it first and make sure the engine is stone cold because some of the producs will leave stains on a warm engine.

Hope you're enjoying the forum. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I'm not a fan of washing engines while they are in the car (unless there are oil leak cleanups), but many people do it. I'm with the dealer on this one.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I'm not a fan of washing engines while they are in the car (unless there are oil leak cleanups), but many people do it. I'm with the dealer on this one.

Stan
I've seen how clean you keep your car from the pictures, can't believe you've never cleaned the engine bay. Post pics, seeing is believing:biggrin:

·
Registered
98 L
11 Posts
I like clean engine too, but worry about eletronics parts to be wet and give problems. I spray detergent and clean with wet cloth, no garden hose pressure. For sure, it seems to be hsrd to do, but the result is nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts