Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my new Forester today. A new (06) X crystal grey automatic (my better half refuses to learn 5speed and I got tired of trying to teach her). All of 44 miles on the odometer after the trip home. The $2000 rebate they have going through the end of March put me over the top on buying a new one instead of used. Now I have a nice new wagon to sit in while stuck in traffic. First new car I ever bought -- I was scared to drive it home.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions about the break-in period?Manual just says to vary speeds and keep it under 4000 rpm for first 1000 miles, but nothing I have seen about first oil change or other fluid changes. Is that all I have to worry about?

Also, I work in West Berkeley CA, near Gilman and San Pablo. Does anyone in the forum have a recommendation on a good garage in Berkeley? I had a great relationship with my old mechanic but they were Honda only, and so now I am on the hunt for a new shop. Any suggesitions are appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
There are several...

...shops in the area where I deliver parts to on a regular basis (I'm doing deliveries since we're a driver short).

Art's Automotive
2855 San Pablo Ave.
Berkeley, CA

(1 blk. north of Ashby [Hwy. 13] on San Pablo)

Steve Kahn's Auto Care
744 San Pablo Ave.
Albany, CA

(three doors down from Albany Subaru showroom)

Meet up with me, buy the parts, and learn to do it yourself.

:grin:

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Take it easy the first 1,000 miles. Don't cruise at a set speed and very your speeds. Never use the cruise control. Don't worry about going over 4000 RPM after a couple of hundred miles but do not redline and don't keep it over 5000 RPM for very long. Personally, I like changing my oil around 500 miles to get all the metal shavings and particles that invariable get floating round in a new engine.

Enjoy it. I just got my 06 X a couple of months ago. I love everything about it except the stock head unit (changed already), stock speakers (to be changed), and body lean during turns (still trying to decide on a solution without dropping the car).

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Drive it normally as in don't jam it or baby it. Let it idle for ~ 1 minute before driving and then drive easy till the temp is up to full normal. As Flyer said, no cruise control and try to vary speeds somewhat. No hard acceleration in the lower gears but, some short (5-10 secconds) heavy throttle runup to help seat the rings. I chose 3,000 as my max rpm for the first 500 miles eventually worked up to 4,000 by 1,000 miles. First recomended oil change on my forester is/was 3,000 miles and Subaru has stated NOT before 1,000 miles. I split the difference and changed oil & filter at ~2,000 miles. My 2000 Forester now have 104,000 trouble free miles and runs as new without any measurable oil consumption during a 5,000 mile oil change interval. A great vehicle-enjoy. Ed Hayes

·
Registered
05 XT MT
2,564 Posts
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!:Banane29:

Like the avatar! Just drive her like you would as usual with an oil change at 500 miles, then at 1000. Get a Fumoto valve and do it yourself. Changing the oil on a Forester is simple. It is not like changing the stator on a scooter or anything with crazy diagrams from your sister-in-laws husband :wink:. Guess I will be giving you the same present I got for the holidays. Does Luna fit in the back?:think:

Give me a call if you need any advice.

B-inlaw:drive:

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Congrats on the new Forester.

Like GatorXT, I drive mine since day one as if I had it for years. Even if you should slip up here and there, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. I took mine to 6K a couple of times within the break in period, so far no problems & oil consumption. My first oil change was at 3K.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Excellent point about taking it easy after the first startup. Drive easy the first 5 minutes.

I keep hearing that we shoudl not idle the engine for very long and it makes sense to me so I try to keep the warmup period around 30 seconds and I never let the engine idle to warm up the car. I hear that is really bad.

Again, congrats and take it off the paved roads when you can.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Hi Flyer. I think you mean idle 30 seconds before driving off easy till the temp is full up. Yes?

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I let my car warm up (5-10 min) if possible in the winter before I drive off

Safer driving

"warm" car

Windows have a tendancy to frost over even after you scrap if the car is cold..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts