Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya. Sorry in advance if this has already been covered, but just went through the marketing survey for my new Forester XT and they had some interesting questions on potential, future engines:

If Subaru were to offer a 6-cylinder Boxer engine option on the Forester, how likely would you be to purchase this option at $1,500?
[This engine would be a 3.6L normally-aspirated 6-cylinder Boxer engine mated to a 5-speed Automatic Transmission. Power output would be approximately 250hp running on regular (87 octane) fuel. EPA fuel economy ratings would be approximately equal to a 2.5L Turbo 4-cylinder Boxer engine (2009 EPA ratings = 19 mpg city / 24 mpg highway).]

If Subaru were to offer a 2.0L Turbo Diesel Boxer engine option on the Forester, how likely would you be to purchase that option at $3,000?
[Assume this engine would feature approximately 150HP and 250 lb-ft of torque, and would get approximately 30-35 MPG, based on 2008 US EPA standard economy ratings. Equipped with an automatic transmission, Forester 0-60 MPH performance would be on-par with that of the existing 2.5L H4 Boxer engine, although it would offer much more mid-range torque for passing maneuvers.]

They also asked about a hybrid CVT option and a couple others (sorry did not copy everything). They had a diesel follow up question on the transmission desired.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Limited
16 Posts
I also received that survey. It was interesting. For the hybrid, they asked if you were willing to pay $5000 extra for it. It was a very long survey...mostly why did you buy a Forester...what do you want in a car type of questions.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I'd pay extra for an H6 or a diesel in a Forester before I'd pay extra for a CVT. I'd pay a ton extra for a turbo H6. Dream on. :biggrin:

Wouldn't pay extra for a hybrid at all.

·
Registered
1994 MY04 XT Luxury
150 Posts
Anything in there about a higher performance spec for the existing engine configurations?
Call me crazy, but perhaps a STI version?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Diesel with a 5MT or 6MT would be cool, anything else I'm not really interested in. H6 -- that would be cool but front-heavy and may handle crappy because of it, and doesn't sound like it'd get better mileage than the existing XT. CVT? Not interested. Hybrid? I'd need to wait a few years to see how it'd work out, but for $5,000 I have quite a few options of used good mileage commuter cars.

Stan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heya. Sorry in advance if this has already been covered, but just went through the marketing survey for my new Forester XT and they had some interesting questions on potential, future engines:

...If Subaru were to offer a 2.0L Turbo Diesel Boxer engine option on the Forester, how likely would you be to purchase that option at $3,000?...
Would that be an additional $3,000 on top of the FXT or just the base I wonder? That would actually be a deciding factor for me most likely. Over $30,000 for the diesel I feel would be more than most people would be willing to spend(myself included).

If the XT and Diesel were priced nearly the same +/- $1000 and it was a bump of $3,000ish over base model, I would opt for diesel probably. If it was much more than an XT, I would prefer the performance of the XT.
A nice 5EAT would be preferable.:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
My follow up question would be:

How likely would you be to buy a boxer diesel out of a wrecked Forester and swap it into an SF?

VERY likely.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Sunny 1.6M
5 Posts
I would go for a rechargeable hybrid with a 4cyl 1.6L direct injection + turbo making around 200HP (Nissan Juke with a boxer engine?) and an additional 50HP coming from an electric motor. CVT with option of virtual manual gear to get caracter when needed and smooth operation the rest of the time. Ideal would be to have enough range on electric for daily commuting in traffic jams and keep the fun for the weekend when I can use its potential. Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide...

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
12 Posts
Diesel with a 5MT or 6MT would be cool, anything else I'm not really interested in. H6 -- that would be cool but front-heavy and may handle crappy because of it, and doesn't sound like it'd get better mileage than the existing XT. CVT? Not interested. Hybrid? I'd need to wait a few years to see how it'd work out, but for $5,000 I have quite a few options of used good mileage commuter cars.

Stan
Just took delivery diesel forester 6MT and love it.
The box is great though rarely use 6th gear or even 5 in suburbs.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
true...
Tell us more! Without having one 'under my foot', I'm inclined to think that the narrow rpm band and high torque of the diesel would make the CVT a good pairing...for those interested in fuel efficiency.
Is the diesel you guys get turbocharged?
-Quick

Just took delivery diesel forester 6MT and love it.
The box is great though rarely use 6th gear or even 5 in suburbs.

·
Registered
775 Posts
true...
Tell us more! Without having one 'under my foot', I'm inclined to think that the narrow rpm band and high torque of the diesel would make the CVT a good pairing...for those interested in fuel efficiency.
Is the diesel you guys get turbocharged?
-Quick
The 2.0D is Turbo DI in all markets. It would pump around 90 hp without a turbo.:icon_frown:

Guy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Boxer 6 cylinder engine - Yes.
5 - 6 speed automatic - Yes.
Manual transmission - Maybe.

Turbo Diesel engine - Yes, however, it depends on price.

CVT transmission - Definately NOT!!!

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Boxer 6 cylinder engine - Yes.

Turbo Diesel engine - Yes, however, it depends on price.

CVT transmission - Definately NOT!!!
I agree!.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
I am curious. What is wrong with the CVT??

I do not like the 4at that mine came with. I wish it had a proper OD or 5th gear.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
91 Posts
This AT/MT/DSG/CVT debate has always been and will always be a religious debate (at least for a few more decades until electrics have taken over the world and put transmissions into a museum with steam engines).

Don't worry the CVT/DSG options won't steal the MT out of your car in the middle of the night.

As for the 5EAT, it's nice, but it can't compete with the CVT for having both high cruising ratio, low off-road/off-line ratio, and good gear spacing. The 4EAT is reliable, but it sucks functionally. It has a more than good 1st gear but the top gear isn't high enough for highway MPG and the spacing is inadequate for twisties and descents. I can't imagine adding just one gear for the 5EAT would cure both problems. The CVT should cure both, and while a 6EAT might come close, reality says Subaru has already invested in the CVT and it's not going away (and if there is any truth to what the company execs have indicated, a beefier CVT will also take over the boxer 6 and turbo cars at some point). When this will happen for the Forester and the higher torque engines, only Subaru insiders know, but it's going to be soon.

·
Registered
2003 Sg 03 Forester
1 Posts
subaru engine and gear box combo is not the right question

Unless subaru avoids being manipulated by Toyota and starts improving fuel consumption figures, I think Skoda will sneak up from behind them and whack them in the back of the head

1 - 20 of 34 Posts