Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2010 Forester comes comes with 2-years of free maintenance.

I am already noticing brake dust build up on my wheels and I always hated that on my old car, a friend told me that ceramic brakes don't give off as much dust, but are more expensive.

Does anyone know if the factory maintenance plan gives you a discount if you switch to ceramic brakes?

Should I go ahead and pay to change them now, or should I wait for my first scheduled brake service, which isn't until 15,000 miles?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
I didn't get 2 years of free maintenance with my 2010. More like 2 years maintenance free.

What is the factory maintenance plan?

Why would you need to schedule brake service at 15K miles?

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It says it repels brake dust...do you or anyone have first hand experience that it works?
Some of the reviews of similar products on Amazon are not good.
A coating of wax should be a bit slicker then metal, but brake dust on wax probably looks as bad as brake dust on metal.

/Edit...
The 2-year plan from Subuar just covers the first two years of the scheduled maintenance , basically oil changes and brakes.
I also have a 7-year 100k extended warranty from my bank, I have to follow the scheduled maintenance plan for it to stay valid, the same for the free 2-year plan from Subaru.
Google "Subaru suggested maintenance schedule"

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts
I always wax my wheels (completely) when they're new. It makes it much easier to keep clean. :wink:

I have a '03 & '07 Forester & they have original brakes. I figure they should last 60K miles or longer before the pads need to replaced. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I have been through so many brake calipers, rotors, and pads I can't even count. One thing to make note of is the bite of the pad. My understanding is that while ceramics handle heat very well, they do not bite well at all if cold (not up to temps).

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
The brakes aren't replaced at 15k, that is just the first scheduled inspection.
I think I will just deal with the dust for a while.

Todd, I live in Austin, TX, so worrying about cold brakes isn't much of a problem.
I live in Georgia and trust me, when he said "cold brakes" he wasn't talking about outside temperature. Ceramic brakes suck period unless you have warmed them up on a track day for a few laps. I swapped them onto my '04 Grand Cherokee for "extra stopping power" and almost ran through a stop sign after installation. Worst brake decision I ever made. They worked great on my Datsun 280Z track car though. :biggrin:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'm not really a fan of ceramic pads. Not great bite and they're a bit harder on rotors than semimetalics. Not sure on newer models, but the old factory pads lasted much longer than just about any aftermarket choice. They weren't very good pads if you drive hard, but they're a pretty decent choice for a daily driver.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
I live in Georgia and trust me, when he said "cold brakes" he wasn't talking about outside temperature. Ceramic brakes suck period unless you have warmed them up on a track day for a few laps. I swapped them onto my '04 Grand Cherokee for "extra stopping power" and almost ran through a stop sign after installation. Worst brake decision I ever made. They worked great on my Datsun 280Z track car though. :biggrin:

Thanks for explaining that.

I had ceramic pads on my WRX and has a similar issue, although once I dragged the pads for a 100 feet or so they functioned well even in freezing temps. But for daily driving I wouldn't really recommend them.

There are a lot of pads manufacturers that advertise their pads as "low dust". I'm a bit out of the loop as far as brake pads, but look around and you'll find them. There are definitely options out there for everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts