Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a smaller SUV with 4WD as a replacement for my wife's Harrier. Someone recommended the new Forester 2.0X. I went to MI to take a look, and frankly, I did not fall in love with it. I know the car has superb engineering/technology. Can you Forester experts in Spore give me your honest views on this new Forester? Others I'm considering is the new RAV4 (4WD) and the yet to be launched Mit Outlander. I currently already drive a CRV. Thanks and happy motoring!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe that you should test drive both the 2.0X and 2.5XT. If compared to the CRV, it may be smaller in internal space, but $$ for power, handling, agility and engine, it's definitely better (refering to 2.5XT or 2.0XT).

We have done mild off roading and in Aussie, even sand dunes - see other thread. Best of all, it's very easily mod-dable for power, looks, handling, etc at reasonable costs.

For the 2.5XT, it even comes with 1.5 sunroof and tip controls. The AWD is superior to many other soft roaders. As such, it all depends on your budget and personal tastes.

Another "like" is that it is a sleeper car and no worries going into M'sia, unlike the more M'sian popular SUVs, which tend to attract unwanted attention. If these were not reason enough and you're considering the Mit Outlander, it's a much bigger car and expect to drive like a SUV, not a car.

Take the XT out on some winding roads and feel the superb handling - for a SUV.

Finally, it is up to you and your partner in selecting the most suitable car for your needs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi

I have test drive the 2.0X, feels that the car is much lighter than the turbo version, initial pickup feels faster, after that the acceleration is normal. Brake is weak. I did not like the look of the new forester either, feels that it is abit too soft , more suitable for ladies, but u r buying for yr wife rite ?

I got the 2.0XT instead, looks more rugged to me.

rgds

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SuberSTI & Joshark,

Thanks for the comments. The 2.5XT will be an over-**** for my wife (she will use the new SUV; I will stay with the CRV); agree it is a very good value package. I noted the 2.0X comes with rear drum brakes which I'm somewhat surprised. Will let my wife test both the 2.0X, and even the 2.0XT.

By the way I read somewhere that there is a hugh premium to insure the 2.0XT. Is this true?

E

·
0 Posts
I'm 37 and my premium is about 1100 after 50% NCD. Quite low for a 2.0 Turbo charge car if you ask me.

May be it's due to 2.0XT's log card, vehicle type is station wagon?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Emkay,

Thanks for the info - 1100 after 50% NCD is not too bad.

I've a strong feeling that my wife will not like the Forester; one option is that she takes my CRV, and I get a new Forester. If I do that, I will definitely go for the turboed model - either 2.0XT (less heavy on gas, roadtax and insurance) or the new 2.5XT. Of course the major disadvantage is that the 2.0XT is a phased-out model; also it is only about $6K cheaper than the 2.5XT. Any views from you guys? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In checking with the Subaru Japan website, I note that they do have the 2.0XT in the face-lifted model. Anyone knows why MotorImage is not bringing this in? Is it because they are flogging off residual stocks of the old model 2.0XT before bringing in the new model?

Also, can someone share with me the fuel consumption of the 2.0XT? Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
ek4auto said:
In checking with the Subaru Japan website, I note that they do have the 2.0XT in the face-lifted model. Anyone knows why MotorImage is not bringing this in? Is it because they are flogging off residual stocks of the old model 2.0XT before bringing in the new model?

Also, can someone share with me the fuel consumption of the 2.0XT? Thanks.

go for the 2.5XT. for the extra 6k, you get extra .5L, HID, sunroof, etc...

most important of all, don't have to mod much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GolfAdv,

Yes, the 2.5XT is attractively priced indeed; however worry about the high fuel consumption. Checking through the USA forums, people are saying they get about 15-18 miles/gal on average, so this works out to be less than 7km/ltr.

C

·
0 Posts
ek4auto said:
GolfAdv,

Yes, the 2.5XT is attractively priced indeed; however worry about the high fuel consumption. Checking through the USA forums, people are saying they get about 15-18 miles/gal on average, so this works out to be less than 7km/ltr.
have a fren who has the 06 2.5XTin Singapore. Due to some refinements under the hood, the consumption is nearly same as the 2.0XT. WHen his wife drives, it is about 8km/l. When he drives, it is 7km/l. Not too sure about the insurance, but the major cost to consider would be the road tax.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My premium is about 1.4K , and i am 33yrs old

If u are driving, the older model 2.0XT is more suitable for guys, just my opinion.

C

·
0 Posts
I am interested too.

Perhaps we get a discount if booked together, thanks.

I am looking at the 2.0 forester.

Rdgs
Colin03

D

·
0 Posts
All,

I have been eyeing the new forrester 2.5XT for quite sometime now. And I am at the stage about choosing colour for the car. I am tossing between the pearl white or the grey? Anyone got any comments for colour for the forrester? I have seen the white on the old forrester which looks quite alright but MI had said that it is not a very popular colour.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dchew1 said:
All,

I have been eyeing the new forrester 2.5XT for quite sometime now. And I am at the stage about choosing colour for the car. I am tossing between the pearl white or the grey? Anyone got any comments for colour for the forrester? I have seen the white on the old forrester which looks quite alright but MI had said that it is not a very popular colour.
Hi

My 2.0XT is white, car looks more striking and bigger. But can see dirts more easily, need to wash more often

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have not been in here for some time.

I'm 38 and with 50% NCD + 5% COM, I only pay $700+ for insurance.
There shouldn't be much diff in 2.0XT and 2.5XT FC. Only thing is the road tax. It's about 700+ more/yr.

·
Registered
06 Forester 2.0x
42 Posts
I just got the 2.0x. Very happy but am looking to install an air intake or air filter. Can Anyone can help me out with this.

Thanks

·
Registered
06 Forester 2.0x
42 Posts
Will watch out for that. If it does happen then will have the dealer will replace the bumper.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will watch out for that. If it does happen then will have the dealer will replace the bumper.

Thanks
The Browning will appear after some time. This is a result stains from the exhaust gas and not a manufacturing defect.

Guess its somewhat unavoidable with a car that has a relatively fuel rich mix.

So if you plan to get a white car just be prepared should this happen. But you can buy one of those cosmetic exhaust guards that stick to the bumper to minimise the browning.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Subaru accessories

Hello,

I just got myself a white Forester 2.0X. Looking forward to "poison" it with accessories such as rear spoiler, side skirts, front and rear under spolier and other related kits. Can anyone advise where i can get these parts and roughly how much will these cost? OEM parts are fine to me. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts