Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2010 Forester. I have put about 200 miles on it so far and I have noticed that both the front and rear suspension really bang on the down side of speed bumps (there are 3 relatively low ones entering and exiting the complex I live in). If I slow down to a crawl it goes over smooth, but anything more and wham.

This is my first new car so I do not know what to expect. Maybe the shocks just need to loosen up or something? What I do know is my old Forester used to take them at 10mph without a thought.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Premiu
83 Posts
Did you check the tire pressure?

My dealer delivered the car with about 40 psi all around. It banged and drove harshly too, until I adjusted the pressure to 32/30.

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the pressure is causing that problem, they are all at 34. It rides great and handles small road bumps well enough. Its just coming off the speed bumps that make the loud bang in both front and rear.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XC D
22 Posts
I have a 2010 model too. Done about 2700 miles in it now. I experience a similar knocking/banging sound going over larger speed bumps etc but only when going faster than I maybe should be. I just put it down to me going too fast!

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just doesn't seem right that my wife's Kia Spectra can cruise over them and soak up the bump no problem but my Forester has to slow down to the point where the needle doesn't register any speed in order to go over smoothly.

There must be someone out there that can explain this! Should I bring it back to the dealer to be looked at? Do people with 2009 models have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
As everyone else seems to think the 09 and '10 models are undersprung and underdamped, It'd be worth going back to the dealer. Someone hasn't accidentally left shipping spacers in perhaps?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
55 Posts
I fly over speed bumps in my 2010 from mile 25 till now. I have had no issues. I thought it took them pretty well actually. i would defanetly take it back and ask them about it... then again i am the type of person that would take something back that is not perfect. fortunetly my 2010 dark grey MT foz is perfect! :woohoo:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
It's a light and inexpensive car. Put 3 passengers in it and I'll bet it will sound better. If it improves, just don't take those people back home. And you'll have to feed 'em now and then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2010 Forester. I have put about 200 miles on it so far and I have noticed that both the front and rear suspension really bang on the down side of speed bumps (there are 3 relatively low ones entering and exiting the complex I live in). If I slow down to a crawl it goes over smooth, but anything more and wham.

This is my first new car so I do not know what to expect. Maybe the shocks just need to loosen up or something? What I do know is my old Forester used to take them at 10mph without a thought.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
My mother's 2010 does the same thing and it just doesn't sound right. The tire pressure 32 all round. The dealer had told us that its a "common occurrence" in some of the Foresters. I'm calling BS on that.

·
Registered
2013 2.5X Premium 5MT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I still don't know what exactly it is, I must say that Bobiam was right on. I had 3 people in the car for the first time last weekend and it was noticably smoother over the speed bumps, though still more harsh than I would like.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
My local Kroger store has those hard, rubber speed bumps that are attached on top of the pavement so you don't go flying through the parking lot and run over the little old ladies leaving the store.
If it is just me inside and I "ease" over them, then yes, my '09 XT will "bump" on the down-side of the speedbump. I checked tire pressure, etc, and even talked with my independant tire dealer about it. He says it is a combination of the lighter weight of the Forester, the gas struts and the lower profile tires on the stock 17" rims. This is from a man I have known many years and trust greatly.
I have found that if I cross them at a slight angle it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
82 Posts
I never drove ours stock because the guy that delivered it to our house pulled it into the garage where I started modding it. However I put 07 WRX front springs on ours and 08 WRX rear springs and have ZERO noise so far.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X Premium
931 Posts
I have made the same observation on my 2010 (14k on the clock) I always though is normalm and is due to weight in the back (too light). If anyone took it back to the delear and they fixed it let me know. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts