Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Forester a couple of days ago and everything seemed normal but yesterday things were odd. After I drove to the auto store (picking up some misc stuff), I noticed a burning smell as I exited the vehicle. I opened the hood and it seemed to come from the right side of the car (my left). I'm not sure what it is but it sort of smells like burning rubber or plastic. I can't find anything under the car or under the hood so I guess I will take it to the dealership tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this before?

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
What year/model forester do you have flyer?..

If its a fairly new car it could just be the protective coating burning off the parts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
It's likely just the protective coating burning off the miscellaneous engine and exhaust parts. Not unusual for a brand-new car, but completely harmless.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Is it a manual? Could be the clutch breaking in too.

Flyer said:
I just bought my Forester a couple of days ago and everything seemed normal but yesterday things were odd. After I drove to the auto store (picking up some misc stuff), I noticed a burning smell as I exited the vehicle. I opened the hood and it seemed to come from the right side of the car (my left). I'm not sure what it is but it sort of smells like burning rubber or plastic. I can't find anything under the car or under the hood so I guess I will take it to the dealership tomorrow. Has anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 2006 Forester X and an automatic. It is being tinted right now so I'll check again when I pick it up and drive back home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Burning smell

It took almost 1 year for my MY05 Forester XS 5 speed to stop "smelling".
After checking all the fluid levels a couple of times, I didn't worry about it any more.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I had the same issue.
It's probably the protective coating.
The S. FL heat helped burn it off quickly.
Odor was gone the first month.

F

·
0 Posts
Yeah...

Some people like the new car scent on the inside...

But for me there is nothing like an engine being broken in. New cars have that just burning off smell coming from beneath the hood... it's sick but I love it.

But yeah, probably nothing wrong with your new car.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know. Now about that new car smell- research has revealed that it is really bad for us. The chemicals in that are apparently really, really, bad stuff and Subarus have among the highest concentrations.

Hey, I like the smell of gasoline, I like the new car smell as well. Maybe that's why I have trouble with straying thoughts and no damn ability to focus at work :D

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9503413

1 - 9 of 9 Posts