Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Automatic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange problem since having new clutch/flywheel fitted.

I do a lot of maneuvering with being a delivery driver, ie, 3 point turns, reverse parking etc, etc. Anyway for the first 45mins - 1hr the car is fine, smooth with the gears, then it starts playing up.

Example: I drive into a cul-de-sac in 1st gear, clutch down, go to put it in reverse and it wont go into gear, or I reverse out and it wont go into first gear. I have to take my foot of the clutch and re-apply it, then it works.

Another example: after the car has been running for about 1 hr, if I sit there with the engine running, push the clutch down put it into 4th, back to neutral then try 4th again it wont go into gear.

So I think its like a heat thing, problem is I take it to the garage, they test the gears and it works perfectly because the car is cold. Any ideas what it might be ?

·
Registered
00 00 type r, 02x, 03xt Manual
168 Posts
reverse is not synchro`d so is always a bit notchy. If your clutch wasnt fully disengaging there would be crunching. I would try different gear oil. I always used syntrax before but changed to shockproof lightweight years ago and wounldnt go back. I find it gives smoother changes.

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
Actually the 6-speed box on the diesel does have synchro on reverse. Sounds as though the clutch might not be fully disengaging when hot. It's hydraulic, maybe needs bleeding?

Mine is harder to engage gear when cold, intend to use synthetic oil when the transmission oil is replaced at the next service.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Automatic
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yes, they changed the gear box oil over, not sure what they put in it, but I know most garages just use cheap generic stuff. Im taking it back in on wednesday morning so will mention it to him. Someone also said to bleed the clutch slave cylinder, im sure the mechanic will sort it out, although his solution is "just take your foot of the clutch pedal and re-apply it"
Which is ok if you only do it once, but no good when im out delivering and doing around 100 maneuvers a day. Nearly every street I go down is a dead end lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts