Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just took delivery of a new X Premium and I was disappointed to find that we were only issued one key with the nice plastic "Subaru" part. We were issued two extra, what I would call, spare keys with no plastic, and a total of two keyless entry units. Is this standard to only get one "nice" key? Every new car I've had until this one has issued at least two of them...

I suppose it won't cost me too much to get a copy made on a "nicer" blank...

Other than that, we're thrilled. Can't wait to drive it for the next 10 years.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum!

At the dealership I bought my forester from I recieved three genuine subaru keys, and one remote

Just wondering but don't the newer foresters have one of those security chips in the key disableing the engine if it doesn't have the chip?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,062 Posts
I don't know what it's like with this year's X, but my wife's 2005 Impreza had the same assortment of keys and remotes as yours. One of the metal keys would also work in the glove compartment lock, and the other one (for valet parking etc.) wouldn't. Different shaped heads.

If you have the teardrop shaped remotes and get fed up with their triggering from pressure inside your pockets, do a search for postings here regarding use of the previous generation remotes, which are much more stable.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
jibjabjobu said:
My wife and I just took delivery of a new X Premium and I was disappointed to find that we were only issued one key with the nice plastic "Subaru" part. We were issued two extra, what I would call, spare keys with no plastic, and a total of two keyless entry units. Is this standard to only get one "nice" key? Every new car I've had until this one has issued at least two of them...

I suppose it won't cost me too much to get a copy made on a "nicer" blank...

Other than that, we're thrilled. Can't wait to drive it for the next 10 years.
My '06 XT came with 3 keys - 2 standard and 1 "valet", along with two remotes. I would think that is the standard issue. If they only gave you 1, I would go back and ask for more.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Im in Australia and we get 2 keys with immobilisers.
You can get another key cut, but it wont start the car, just open the doors.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
FXTIam said:
My '06 XT came with 3 keys - 2 standard and 1 "valet", along with two remotes.
Same here.

I'm assuming the keys do possess some sort of chip/sensor inside, as it would make no sense to have a separate 'valet' key that serves no purpose other than being grey in colour.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
FXTIam said:
My '06 XT came with 3 keys - 2 standard and 1 "valet", along with two remotes. I would think that is the standard issue. If they only gave you 1, I would go back and ask for more.
Same here for my '06 XT; two with the black plastic and one valet with gray plastic, along with two remotes.

I wouldn't think they issue different key combos with the X models, so I would definitely go back and ask for more.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
ogopogo said:
Anyone tried this key?

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/images/STI KEY.jpg

Maybe a little expensive but many times to you have keys made?

I have an 06 X and it doesn't have the security key. I received two FOBs (alarm thingie) two metal key, one of which is a vallet key, and one with the nice rubber top.
I've got one of those for Subed. They're a pretty popular accessory for Subies without the immobilizer.

Standard issue for my car were two regular keys, two remotes, and a metal valet key. Maybe it's different for the X models.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Two identical keys received, both with the alarm/central locking button built into the key.

Seems very different depending on which country the car is in.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a sti key blank for my forester off of ebay for 21.50 shipped it looks beefier, I hope it works.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
twg said:
2 subaru oem keys with plastic handles, and 1 subuaru valet key, with 2 remotes...
I think the FXT comes with better keys cuz the FXT has a beefier security system, standard.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
05 XT, 2 fobs, 2 normal keys and one valet key.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
dlroto said:
I just got a sti key blank for my forester off of ebay for 21.50 shipped it looks beefier, I hope it works.
I don't understand. What is special about this STi key blank?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
People like the looks of a machined aluminum key, I guess.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
W/ my '04 XT I got 2 subi keys w/ transmitters...that's it. The STi keys are nice and durable but the price is slightly high for me...but they look good.;)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
higgledy said:
I don't understand. What is special about this STi key blank?
It adds about 15 ihp because it's made of titanium. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts