Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

New CAI

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Nachas 
#1 ·
So this past weekend I finally did my first engine mod. I installed a CAI thanks to fellow memeber Lakepop who gave me a good deal, and helped installed the intake. The intake was made by some now defunct company called "JCS Sports" or something like that. Anyways the intake has a K&N filter on it and is in pretty good shape.

I must say I immediately noticed some power gains, the car deffinetly accelerates a bit quicker, and the sound is ofcourse great. It only gets loud when you really step on it.

I do have one question, is this intake considered a Cold Air Intake even though it doesn't go out through the hole in the engine bay? I know other CAI like the Cobb and Injen go through the hole, Lakepop who sold me the intake had actually cut a hole in the bottom of the front bumper in order to increase the flow of air up to the hole. Anyways any insight would be helpful.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
looking good, i don't think i would consider this a CAI but more of a less restrictive intake. where was the hole cut in the in the bottom of the bumper? i'm not sure this would help any because the wind probably just deflects around the bumper and not much of it would find its way into the engine bay.

#3 ·
MY00Forest, thanks for the clarification. The hole cut in the bumper was cut out on the bumper right in front of the wheel. It was cut out in a way that it allowed air to enter into that space where other CAIs usually stop, its sort of hard to explain. Anyways ducting was used to take air through that hole into the hole up in the engine bay, I am probably making this sound more complicated then it is...

Anyways how much difference would be made if the intake went through the hole in the engine bay? Is the air really that much colder? I could probably mod the one that I have on now to go out through the hole.

#5 ·
Senor, yeah I got pretty lucky, sorry brother. I wanted to save up to get the Injen as well, however I couldn't justify dropping all that cash. This is a good alternative for now.

I have seen intakes similar to this on Ebay for pretty cheap, if you are looking for a less expensive alternative.

#8 ·
IMO i think many of the mods done to a NA subie just don't provide as much powar as everyone wants, a true CAI may give you another hp or even two (big whoop) and the same for tq. i havent done any internal mods but i think that may be where the power can be found and the increases can be noticed. with that being said, i am victim of the modding bug so i have done just about every bolt on for power and am hesitant to go to internal modding because my engine is pushing 100k.
i think the intake you have Nachas is a great improvement over stock and i wouldn't be too worried about it, if you get bored one day or are disatisfied with the power had by your current intake then go to a true CAI. but thats just me

#9 ·
One to two HP sure... In Nascar that is huge, to us slightly modded peeps it's not a real big deal. However as things change: heads, cams, pistons, what ever then these pre-existing mods: CAI, header, even fuel begin to make their difference very aperant.
Without hijacking your thread any more I'll just say there are two kind of tuners that I've noticed over the years, Those that buy flashy, uber light, and trick stuff. Then there are those that have a plan, a goal, heck they know what they want, do the research on everything, try, and test, until finally ending up with a finished product that might not look killer, or sound perfect, but will knock your socks off.
Both are fine and you can be a little of either. Just do what you want and you'll be the happiest with your ride... ;)

#10 ·
Knowing your car a little......I'd say get a strut brace/sway bar/free flowing exhaust....upgade the wheels/tires.......clean everything up under the hood and enjoy the machine for a while. Small inexpensive mods are good for the feel good experience.

I'm a big advocate of the air in/air out equation to enhance the operation of any normally aspirated engine. I thing of the NA engine as a big air pump.

OK...my .02

#11 ·
Yes Lakepop I agree with you, I am deffinetly planning on doing an exhaust swap, an axle back one similar to yours. Also some things with suspension like a sway bar in the back.

Wraith my friend, there is no "hijacking" threads, I like to hear everything and anything anyone has to add to the conversation, thanks for your input.

Anyways to test the difference of the intake like I have and a CAI, I am planning on modding this one to go out through the engine bay to see if I can feel any really difference, we will see how it goes.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.