Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm in love with the '09 and '10 Forester.
This will be the first new car I've ever purchased, all the rest were 1,000$ or so. So I would love any advice any of you could give me.

I moved from the southern u.s. to Northern Wisconsin and I've been shopping around for vehicles to help me manage driving on these horrible roads, and soon to be snowy conditions. Never driven anything other than a sedan, or 2wd.
I have decent financing in place, and am just trying to get the absolute best deal I can get.
I've been mainly looking at the 2010 2.5x
It's the sparsest of the models, sure but I'm trying desperately not to go over (or much over) 21k$
I'll need an automatic transmission, and well, I guess the tow hitch, and all weather mats, and cargo nets can be bought later on, and probably at a cheaper price.

Any thoughts on how I could talk the dealer down a little so it's closer to my price range?

Also, they have several '09 models with 3,000-10,000 miles on them that are right near my price range.
I assumed they were repo's?
I could probably have a better shot at knocking some of the price off of one of those than a brand new '10 model that they'd have to have delivered to the dealership, but perhaps I'm being greedy and want a car no one else has ragged out just yet.

Hope this makes sense, and someone out there can offer some helpful advice. Thanks for making it to the end of my rambling

·
Registered
2oo8 ForesterXT LIM. AT AT
459 Posts
Well I'm in love with the '09 and '10 Forester.
This will be the first new car I've ever purchased, all the rest were 1,000$ or so. So I would love any advice any of you could give me.

I moved from the southern u.s. to Northern Wisconsin and I've been shopping around for vehicles to help me manage driving on these horrible roads, and soon to be snowy conditions. Never driven anything other than a sedan, or 2wd.
I have decent financing in place, and am just trying to get the absolute best deal I can get.
I've been mainly looking at the 2010 2.5x
It's the sparsest of the models, sure but I'm trying desperately not to go over (or much over) 21k$
I'll need an automatic transmission, and well, I guess the tow hitch, and all weather mats, and cargo nets can be bought later on, and probably at a cheaper price.

Any thoughts on how I could talk the dealer down a little so it's closer to my price range?

Also, they have several '09 models with 3,000-10,000 miles on them that are right near my price range.
I assumed they were repo's?
I could probably have a better shot at knocking some of the price off of one of those than a brand new '10 model that they'd have to have delivered to the dealership, but perhaps I'm being greedy and want a car no one else has ragged out just yet.

Hope this makes sense, and someone out there can offer some helpful advice. Thanks for making it to the end of my rambling
Patience is the key, let them call you,and they will.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
144 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have a couple tips for you.

One important option: If you get NOTHING else, be sure to get the fully adjustable electric driver's seat. A frequent complaint about the '09 and '10 Forester relates to discomfort, which can easily be adjusted out with that seat option.

As for getting your best price, here is a GREAT article on exactly how to do that, painlessly. And like Danny said,.. you MUST be patient:

Following is a brief "How-To" from Sam Glover from his "Caveat Emptor" blog:
How to buy a new car in any economy

Good luck with the hunt, and get back to us with details.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Not necessarily repos on the low-mileage 09s. Might be that demo models must be considered 'used' after xyz miles, or they were driven by dealer staff (we got a nice lightly used Maxima that way several years back).

Anyway, good choice of car for our part of the world. If you can swing a model with heated seats, you'll find it a nice option for our chilly winters.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were in my position which would you go for the sligjtly used 09. Or the new
2010?
With a few thousand miles and some slight scratches in the paint how would you go about trying to haggle for a smaller price?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with getting the demo '09's they have. There were minimal changes from '09 to '10 model yr, only cosmetic stuff mainly. You should be able to get a base 2.5X with automatic transmission as a pre-owned with a few thousand miles, down to $18,750 in my opinion, but I haven't had my head in the market so don't take this for gospel-- consult the usual online car pricing guides. Edmunds.com is pretty good. Don't let them quote you NADA retail (National Auto Dealers Assoc) pricing on the pre-owned '09's as a starting point because the NADA guide shoots somewhat high on dealer retail price. Sounds like you aren't trading in anything and that makes it easier because when a trade is involved the lines get blurred some and its harder to gauge what kind of deal you're getting, not always but often.

I saw a new car pricing website with a bell curve shaped graph on the price to negoitate towards. I cannot remember the URL for it. It was something like True Price or similar.

As mentioned above, do not fall victim to being impulsive and letting them talk you into a same day deal. It is always better to be serious but make clear you're shopping prices at more than one dealer. That you have financing setup already is huge and shows you're a serious buyer and not a tire kicker. So that will work in your favor.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
299 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have a couple tips for you.

One important option: If you get NOTHING else, be sure to get the fully adjustable electric driver's seat. A frequent complaint about the '09 and '10 Forester relates to discomfort, which can easily be adjusted out with that seat option.
I agree with this, Kinda pissed i didnt just go for the Limited trim level now :shake:

Thigh support on the manual adjusting seats is very poor for me during long trips. I get BAD inflammation in my right hip unless I use a small folded blanket under my thigh (and im in my 20's!)... An electric seat could let me adjust it to a position where this would not happen, but i have tried virtually every position with the manual seat and I cant make it go away.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
144 Posts
You're not alone.
I couldn't get comfortable when test driving until I tried the electric seat option.

It's a night and day difference. VERY comfortable now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Crap, I just noticed the XT Premium had the manual seats whereas the X Premium has the electric seats. I hadn't actually seen the XT Premium yet and was hoping to buy it, but if it has the manual seats I'll either have to get the XT Limited or no Turbo.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
286 Posts
Sheepskin seat covers are a good solution.

They last a long time (mine are 13 years old), improve comfort in all seasons, provide a bit of luxurious softness above the firm seats, will preserve the factory upholstery, and they're easy to remove for cleaning.

So if the car you buy hasn't got power seats, you may like to consider sheepskins.

Do a Google search on sheepskin seat covers. There are lots of sources, and each one has a few different styles. Make sure the covers you select are compatible with the seat-mounted airbags in your Forester.

I had no use for the seat warmers in my old Outback after the sheepskins came. You don't want to use the seat warmers if the seats are covered in skins.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They last a long time (mine are 13 years old), improve comfort in all seasons, provide a bit of luxurious softness above the firm seats, will preserve the factory upholstery, and they're easy to remove for cleaning.

So if the car you buy hasn't got power seats, you may like to consider sheepskins.

Do a Google search on sheepskin seat covers. There are lots of sources, and each one has a few different styles. Make sure the covers you select are compatible with the seat-mounted airbags in your Forester.

I had no use for the seat warmers in my old Outback after the sheepskins came. You don't want to use the seat warmers if the seats are covered in skins.

I have always just suffered through discomfort and adapted to it brcause my previous cars have all been junkers.
The lightly used 09's at the dealer i have been looking at do not have powerseat. Will the sheepskin covers really make that big of a difference?

Thanks so much to all that have replied with advice

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5x
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cold in Wisconsin,

I've just recently purchased a 2.5x Base with quite a few options for $21k (including automatic transmission). I followed the instructions on this site: CarBuyingTips.com new car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying. I got a hit for my offer from one of the first dealers. I even completed their spreadsheet incorrectly, resulting in a lower bid than I had intended make.
thanks for sharing. Mind letting me know who the dealer was?
I went to my local dealer today who told me that they'd have to order a base model which would take around 3 months.
They have a few 09's with ubder 10,000 miles for just over 20k$. When asked about them he said they were rental cars the dealership purchased for 19k.
I have trouble believing that story. It may be true but it doesn't sit right with me.
Test drove one and i loved the way it felt. I could definitely feel it jump a but when changing gears, which i felt odd for a barely used vehicle

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
They most likely paid whatever the going wholesale for that model is on Mannheim auto auctions. Which I bet is less than $19K, but maybe not. If you go to intelliprice and input the model info it will spit out Black Book which is usually close to Mannheim auto auction wholesale. To find out the going wholesale for a model at the regional Mannheim auction you would need an inside hookup in a dealership. They guard this info like a state secret, unless you have that model to trade-in, that is when they usually shoot you the auto auction wholesale as their first offer on trade allowance.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Hey Cold in Wisconsin, it gets cold in Wisconsin...if you buy new, consider springing for the Subaru engine block heater. Once it's installed, it's dirt simple to use...they run an ordinary plug up to the grill fascia...you just run an extension cord out to the vehicle. Use a timer, have it kick on a couple of hours before you need the car...engine, heater, defroster will be toasty warm very quickly. No need to run out in your jammies , start the car, and run back in for fifteen minutes. (Not that I've ever done that, LOL). Whichever model you buy , you'll really enjoy it. Nothing like going from a junker to a new or almost new Subaru. I oughtta know...
Steve
09 2.5X AT (w/ block heater!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts