Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XTEN
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just fitted a hybrid BOV bought from another member on the site, car now feels a fair bit more urgent, although I'm suspecting the novelty of the noise will wear off and I'll end up going full recirc....

On looking at the old BOV,the spring seems quite weak and doesn't look as if it's giving a very good seal when closed....so one to bear in mind for all us older Foz owners

That's this months £60 done.....:icon_razz:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Known problem on 99/00MY (its been covered often enough on here!) and easily and very very cheaply fixed, on later cars the spring pressure isn't relevant as boost pressure is supplied to the (larger area) on top of the diaphragm and more than offsets the same boost applied to the smaller area on the underside of the piston!

Noise, running rich on gearchanges, worse fuel economy and worse pickup after when opening the throttle from a cruies or gearchange are the downsides of a VTA - upside is noise only (if you like it!).

Simon

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
its the best tool in the box!!!

just out of interest, does the auto have a BOV, Im no where near my car at the moment and cant say i have ever looked for one. to be honest i have no idea how it would work, gear changes are almost instant, would it create enough pressure to warrant needing one?

if so, anybody know of a good aftermarket one to fit an auto and would it have all the sound effects?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts

just out of interest, does the auto have a BOV, Im no where near my car at the moment and cant say i have ever looked for one. to be honest i have no idea how it would work, gear changes are almost instant, would it create enough pressure to warrant needing one?

if so, anybody know of a good aftermarket one to fit an auto and would it have all the sound effects?
yes it does. its a black plastic thingie down the passenger side of the intercooler. I wouldnt play with it too much as its not a very robust piece of kit. Some idiot snapped a piece off mine, when he (me) was changing the starter motor. Its of the recirc variety.

·
Registered
2007 XTEN
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yep sure does, mines an auto...On the uk car it's the circular metal thing bolted to the front of the intercooler, imagine it's the same on the JDM. Mine must have been leaking like hell because there really is quite a big difference in how it drives.... You do get some of the hiss sound with the Auto if that's your bag, i think it might end up being a bit anoying

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
97/98 its black plastic as described by mike, 99-> its on the front of the intercooler.

As you don't shut the throttle to change gear on an auto you wouldn't hear a VTA all that often!

Simon

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
definately nothing on my intercooler. i would have noticed it.

if there is absolutely no throttle closure on gear change, why would it need a BOV, there would be no back pressure?

I fitted a subtle one on my MX5. pretty quiet, but when it blows you know its working.

i will have to have a look when i finally get home. Im in Kazakhstan at the moment so its a bit difficult to check.

did you ever wonder what happened to the first car you ever bought????.... i guarentee its here in Aktau!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts