Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring Automatic
4 Posts
@andrewtaft Sounds like maybe the key fob isn't recognized by the car anymore, could have wiped the memory for the computer. Was anything else in the car reset? When I used my spare key, a similar thing happened.

Edit - My mistake -- 03-05 probably doesn't have issues with the keyfob...

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,000 Posts
@andrewtaft I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

No issues when the battery is disconnected on our Foresters, with the factory/OEM security system. Have you tired disconnecting the battery to reset the system, just in case the electrical glitched? :confused:

Just in case you need it: How to Idle Re-Learn after Battery Disconnect :icon_eek:

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
I replaced my battery and am having trouble with the alarm.Can't start the car and alarm won't shut up
Is this a vehicle that is new to you? Do you know for a fact that it is stock factory? Are your keyless entry fobs stock subaru? could someone have put a vehicle immobilizer on the vehicle, or some sort of aftermarket alarm?

I have heard horror stories of people buying used vehicles with aftermarket alarm or immobilizer accessories. Some of these things are deeply imbeded into the vehicles wiring and a real PITA to remove. And whats more, they can sometimes be "deactivated" but then will "re-activate" upon loss of power (new battery). This originally was a safety feature to make sure that thieves cannot just disconnect the battery to kill an alarm or immobilizer. But you imagine what horror occurs to a new owner when they realize that their vehicle has be immobilized by a system owned by some prior owner, installed in some long lost place, no instructions or information....

I hope this is not your problem.....

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
126 Posts
cdherman--Your post triggered a slight ptsd memory for me. Years ago I removed the battery from my '97 Outback for a plug change. When I reconnected it the aftermarket anti-theft klaxon horn went off 2 feet from my ears. I instantly aged at least a year. That horn is still in a box in my storage shed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts