Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Just bought my first Forester 2004 2.5X and its amazing.
The only problem im not quiet getting the fuel economy i was after, having foresters in the family i know how kilometers or miles they usually get to a tank, but i am getting almost half that, any tips?
also i was wondering if removing the snorkus help this problem or a worthwhile mod because the stock air intake is rather small
Jub

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Any maintenance done recently like spark plugs changed? Any hesitations while accelerating and driving normally? Has the Check Engine Light come on at any time?

Personally I would start with some fresh spark plugs, and while you're doing those, disconnect the battery, which will reset the ecu/tcu and relearn your driving habits which may result in better fuel mileage. You need to attempt to bleed out any reserve power by pumping the brakes, turning on the ignition etc. while the battery is disconnected. Hook it back up again after the plug change.

If any of the local repair/supply shops will read CEL codes for free I'd suggest seeing if any codes have been thrown regardless if the CEL has been illuminated or not. The only other thing that I can think of now is a faulty front o2 sensor, which will affect the fuel mixture resulting in poor mileage, but that should have caused the CEL to come on.

As far as the snorkel, I have left my stock setup in place with no concerns as millions of other Foresters have been left intact. In my opinion there is no benefit to a NA car other than perception and intake noise.

I'm sure others will chime in, good luck

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, yes the spark plugs have been replaced very recently with expensive ones sorry can't remeber the brand.

Check engine light has not come on since ive owned in reguards to the o2 sensor or anything else and has just had a proper service

I will reset my ecu today sometime thankyou that is a good tip.

And im thinking of keeping my snorkus now the only other thing is, with the stock air intake the first piece connected to the front of the engine bay leading into the air box has a very small air opening and only seems to serve as a guard to prevent water getting in. Is this worth taking off at all to help performance or fuel economy
Thanks alot for the help

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,858 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! :cool:

As to your fuel economy issue, what are you getting & what did you expect to get? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
If you are only getting half the distance of a regular Forester, which you say you are familiar with, why do you think removing the snorkus will fix it? I would think all you'll get is a lot of objectional noise. Is the car running normally - that is, does it seem to have the power it should and does it run smoothly and rev freely? Have you had a compression check? Do you know anything about its history?

·
Registered
2004 Forester X
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou for all the welcomes
I was expecting to get at least 500km from a full tank of premium comparing to my fathers 2.0L which getss near to 800km on a ful tank of premium on the same roads. however i only recieved 401km this seemed odd because i was doin mostly highway driving. Car has full service history, new spark plugs, clean air filter, properly inflated tires, had no weight in it bar myself and was running fine and still produce these numbers is that normal.

The snorkus removal was just an interesting first mod not a fuel saving idea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts