Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester s
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first Subaru this weekend. It's a 98 Forester with 152k. I thought I got a really good deal on the car but instead I got screwed. I have faith that everyone here can give me great advise. I test drove the car for about 30min and had no problems. I checked for normal signs of head gasket problems such as coolant in the oil, oil in the coolant, and the nice fragrant sweet smell from the exhaust. I thought I was good to go. Then 2 days later after I registered the car I went and picked it up. Everything was great till about 40min into my ride home. The temp gauge started to rise real quick and then it started smoking from under the hood. I got the car home cause I was only a mile away and tried to call the sob back that sold it to me. Long story short he disappeared and I have an overheating Forester. I replaced both radiador hoses since they sucked together when the car over heated. Also replaced thermostat. No luck the car still overheats. At this point I am pretty sure I have to do head gaskets. I figured I might as well replace the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump while I am in there. Is there anything else I should check before doing head gaskets. Or is there any other parts I should replace while I am doing all this already. Also wondering if anyone has tried porting and polishing the heads. I was also wondering about milling the heads to up the compression. I plan on adding a cold air intake and exhaust. I was also wondering about how involved it would be to ditch the whole head gasket replacement and drop in a turbo motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts