Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded the Alpine MRP-T220 amp that I was using to power the Polk db6501 speakers in the front doors to a Rockford Fosgate P400-2 amp. The certificate that came with the RF amp showed a measured output rating of 149 watts RMS per channel (into a 4 ohm load) at .012% THD. The Alpine amp sounded fine but the RF amp really brings the speakers to life with all of it's power reserve. With nearly 500 watts RMS between the RF amp and the Infinity Basslink, I also had to upgrade my power distribution cables to handle the current draw.

I set the system up as follows:

1. With the subwoofer and rear door speakers off, I lowered the gain control on the amp and raised the HU volume to 32 (out of 40).
2. I slowly raised the gain control on the RF amp to the point that by ear, the amp was near it's full output (the Polks really sounded quite awesome at this point!).
3. The RF amp has a "punch" setting that boosts bass and treble. I adjusted that to just above flat, where it sounded the best. I prefer to maintain tone control from the HU anyway.
4. I slowly adjusted fade to the point I could just hear some fill from the rear, being careful not to let the HU amp clip.
5. Turned on the subwoofer and adjusted its gain for the best blend.

With all speakers dialed in, the system sounds very impressive. Effortless transient response with no audible distortion. It's also amazing the bass response I am getting out of the Polk db6501 speakers with this amp.

So my system is currently configured as follows:

- Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD with SIRIUS and iPod connector

- Polk db6501 components (front) powered by Rockford Fosgate P400-2 amp. Amp and crossovers located under passengers seat.

- Kenwood KFC-1362S 5-1/4" 3-way rear door speakers powered from HU

- Infinity Basslink (installed in spare tire well)

- 4 gauge power supply from battery to distribution block under rear seat, 8 gauge wire from block to Infinity Basslink and RF P400-2 amp (very short runs)

I think I'm done with the audio! :bananapartyhat:

·
Registered
2004 fx
29 Posts
kudos :woohoo: for the audio build

dumb question though, so you don't have any spare tire? :icon_frown: i also plan to have my sub placed in the spare tire well :confused: and just bring along flat tire quick fix spray cans...

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kudos :woohoo: for the audio build

dumb question though, so you don't have any spare tire? :icon_frown: i also plan to have my sub placed in the spare tire well :confused: and just bring along flat tire quick fix spray cans...
THANKS!!!!

I thought long and hard about it before ditching the spare. Here are my reasons;

1. I am a "tire fanatic." I always do a quick visual inspection before I get in to spot a low tire, I keep them inflated to my preferred levels and get replacements before the end of their usable life.

2. The vast majority of roadside tire problems are the result of a slow leak. Blow-outs usually happen due to slow leaks and the driver being oblivious to the tire losing pressure over a period of days or even weeks.

3. Since I started carrying a small portable compressor in my car(s) many years ago, I have NEVER had to change a tire on the side of the road. The compressor has been used on several occasions to deal with a slow leak and get me to a service station for a repair.

4. Along with the compressor, I now also carry tire-sealing "goo" in case that is needed for a more severe leak.

5. If I'm going on a long trip, I can always throw the donut in the back with my luggage (if I feel so inclined).

6. If all else fails, I use my cell phone and call for help.

So with all of that in mind, I have come to the conclusion that the spare tire well works even better for a subwoofer!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts