Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I was just planning on getting a completely new sound system which included a new 500w two channel amp to power two alpine type-R coaxials, and a 1000w amp to power 2 subs.

firstly, would i need a new battery? i have one of those NRMA batteries which they give you when your old one dies (i left the map light on once =p) do i need a new alternator? what sorta guage wiring do i need to run if it has to go all the way to the back? (already have 8AWG but that doesn't seem sufficient) already have an inline fuse of 80A, do i just buy new fuses? do they still fit the same holder? is it possible to run a certain guage, then use a smaller guage after using on of those t-junction splitters? debatable question but would it be smart to get a capacitor?

do you guys have any preference as to amplifiers? looking for a reasonably priced but quality one, not really that much choice where i live, so it's probably between alpine, pioneer, JL and those kinds of brands

I drive an MY03 2.5X btw :)

oh and what's the neatest place to wire all the cable to the back? under the carpet seems a little worrying

Thanks so much guys, i'm a total noobie sorry! haha

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
603 Posts
(already have 8AWG but that doesn't seem sufficient) already have an inline fuse of 80A
-- i think that will be fine

is it possible to run a certain guage, then use a smaller guage after using on of those t-junction splitters?
-- i think this will be fine also i would solder the connection

debatable question but would it be smart to get a capacitor
-- You need these for extreme loads
-- are you going to be using this for some kind of competition? thats a ton ow wattage for a little forester
-- are you going to sound deaden the car (dynamat raamat) you will probably have a ton of buzzing of the panels with your setup

oh and what's the neatest place to wire all the cable to the back? under the carpet seems a little worrying

-- there is a channel under the door molding that i used !!

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i tried looking at that channel but i didn't think there was enough space in there when i tried to shove wiring in, is it on the driver or passenger side?

it's not for competition, it's only going to be pushin 2 pio 400rms subs and i'll probably dynomat the trunk, but the rest of the car seems pretty tight when i was using a smaller amp

thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
36 Posts
8 gauge is not sufficient for 1500w rms total!

I would run 1/0 gauge and distribution fuse block close to the amps.

Here is a calculator for your wiring needs:
WIRE

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 2.5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8 gauge is not sufficient for 1500w rms total!

I would run 1/0 gauge and distribution fuse block close to the amps.
do you recommend runnin 1/0 gauge and using a distro block or running 2 4AWG? which would be cheaper? i have heaps of trouble finding this kinda information in australia ):

1 - 8 of 8 Posts