Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and share our experience so far. We brought a new Forester XT Ltd on July 5th and enjoyed the power and the line of sight the car gives us. Unfortunately, we haven't had the chance to drive it that much. When we purchased the car we had negotiated a remote starter into the deal but the dealer insisted on going with a third party installer vs. factory remote starter.

Install was scheduled for last Friday at the house. Wouldn't you know it, after the installer put everything in the car it wouldn't start anymore. We had it tow it to the dealer. Yesterday (Tues) the dealer told us they have to order a new computer. Apparently whatever the installer did it shorted the computer. The forester is still at the dealer waiting for the computer to arrive and installed.

It's frustrating to have a new car already in the shop and ripped apart. For those that's on the fence about factory or aftermarket remote installs, my personal opinion is to go with factory even if you hate the "security" feature. I don't even want to imagine the headaches (voiding warranty) had I purchased the aftermarket install myself. Needless to say we are going with the factory remote after this fiasco. Hopefully this will be our one and only major issue with this car. :shrug:

Sorry for the gloomy intro.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
Welcome to the forum / family on here from Arcade, GA! :woohoo:
I still cannot understand why dealers / salesmen think it is ok to sell after-market crap. :shake: (i.e. - aftermarket warranties and remote starters)
I think that once you get your Forester back you will find that owning it will make up for this issue with the dealer. I have had my '09 for over two years and still love it more everytime I drive it. :biggrin:
I would also see if there is another dealer to use - that is a BIG boo boo and something that they should have known about beforehand.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
We happen to have Subaru's version of the remote starter and love it, and so far it has been touble free so I'm not really sure what you mean by not liking the "security feature" of the factory remote.

At any rate I hope it works out for you and I would agree that particularly on a new vehicle, I would go with factory parts unless the allure of more power or some other feature is just too desirable not to play it safe.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We happen to have Subaru's version of the remote starter and love it, and so far it has been touble free so I'm not really sure what you mean by not liking the "security feature" of the factory remote.
Thanks everyone, I got the car back today and it's working. They had to replace the body control module and replaced all the keys. But on the drive back I found my ignition key ring flashing red. I'll have to give them a call in the morning.

My brother-in-law has the 2010 Legacy and their remote starter turns off once you open the door (same for the new Outbacks). Subaru calls it a security feature. I found out today that it's not the case with the Forester. :woohoo:

Hopefully once they get the flashing ignition ring fixed I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome.

I hope they're not charging you a penny.
Nope, not a penny and I get the factory remote now. I believe the third party installer will be footing the bill ($1k + rental car).

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,739 Posts
I'm glad to hear that it's working out in the end for you. Enjoy the new Fozzy now(especially the turbo power). By the way, I've got the Subaru OEM auto starter, and I'm liking it so far.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Premium
372 Posts
congrats on the new Foz and condolences for being dragged into an install disaster, hope it gets sorted and is worth it in the end mate

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Thanks everyone, I got the car back today and it's working. They had to replace the body control module and replaced all the keys. But on the drive back I found my ignition key ring flashing red. I'll have to give them a call in the morning.

My brother-in-law has the 2010 Legacy and their remote starter turns off once you open the door (same for the new Outbacks). Subaru calls it a security feature. I found out today that it's not the case with the Forester. :woohoo:

Hopefully once they get the flashing ignition ring fixed I'll be good to go.
The only thing ours does as "safety or security features" is that the car won't remotely start if the hood is open so as not to accidentally hurt a mechanic, and if you hit the brake before putting the key in the ignition and turning to the on position, then the car shuts off. Also, you can't grind the starter when you turn the key once it has been started remotely so that's good and everything works great with ours.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing ours does as "safety or security features" is that the car won't remotely start if the hood is open so as not to accidentally hurt a mechanic, and if you hit the brake before putting the key in the ignition and turning to the on position, then the car shuts off. Also, you can't grind the starter when you turn the key once it has been started remotely so that's good and everything works great with ours.
Good to know, I can imagine myself accidentally grinding the starter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts