Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought a used 2002 Sub Forester S with 118,600 miles. I will not be able to enjoy it until I get it fixed. I bought it for a steal knowing that either the transmission or front differential or both need to be replaced. I got a quote for $2,500 from a local transmission shop. I have been thinking of fixing it myself.????

Anyway, I am excited to be a Subaru owner again and look forward to learning about my car. I did have a 99 Subaru Impreza automatic Red. Now this is a Black forester automatic. I would prefer a standard, but I got such a good deal on this car!

I just hope I don't have any problems with the head gaskets or timing belt. The timing belt will need to be done soon, just not sure I want to get hit with to many bills at once. I may defer the transmission to the experts, and try and do the timing belt myself.

·
Registered
2002 forester
21 Posts
Cool, A fellow '02 owner as of today, and both with bad transmissions!(but mine is a 5spd)
Welcome! (I'v been a member for about 5 minutes)

·
Registered
2002 S
2,702 Posts
I would just pick up a new used trans and swap the whole thing rather than trying to repair the one that's in it now. The wonderful thing about Subarus is they used whatever trans is in your car in probably four other models so replacements are easy to find.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester & good luck on the needed repairs. :wink:

BTW, timing belt & associated maintenance was due at 105K miles. This is one service you don't want to put off too long. If it goes, you'll need a new engine! :frown:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just pick up a new used trans and swap the whole thing rather than trying to repair the one that's in it now. The wonderful thing about Subarus is they used whatever trans is in your car in probably four other models so replacements are easy to find.

Thanks for the tip Rob, I was just reading your LOOOONG thread. Nice mods! Looks like your somewhat of a Subie Nut!

Do you think since my tranny is toast I could swap in a 5 speed?

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Where in Colorado are you?

I've heard Super Rupair in Boulder is a most excellent shop, and I bet they could source a tranny for you. I have never used them myself, just passing along reviews from other members here and local sources. Here is their website: Super Rupair Home

·
Registered
2002 S
2,702 Posts
Thanks for the tip Rob, I was just reading your LOOOONG thread. Nice mods! Looks like your somewhat of a Subie Nut!

Do you think since my tranny is toast I could swap in a 5 speed?
That is more involved but surely possible.
Take a look over on RS25.com and look for the few threads over there about converting from auto to manual, I know there is some detailed ones.

·
Registered
2002 S
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is more involved but surely possible.
Take a look over on RS25.com and look for the few threads over there about converting from auto to manual, I know there is some detailed ones.

After looking at the pros and cons, I am going to stick with the auto... Next time I get a Subie it will be a WRX or a STi with a 6 speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts